My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

simple solution for "tennis elbow"

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> simple solution for "tennis elbow" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
simple solution for "tennis elbow" - November 13, 2015 3:14:17 AM   
ginger

" tennis elbow", sometimes called lateral epicondylitis and it's cousin "golfer's elbow" or medial
epicondylitis are usually straight forward to resolve.
As neither one has anything to do with tennis , and isn't really an elbow problem, one wonders at how the tennis elbow name became popular.

A referred event involving pain , sometimes weakness of the forearm, epicondlylar regions of the proximal forearm, usually on the dominant side.

A careful examination will find palpable tenderness at the above sites, along with the medial border of the ipsilateral scapular, lower cervical spinal joints and those of T1to T5 inclusive.
Hypersensitivity to digital pressures along the spinus scapulata, medial scapula border and over the body of infraspinatus,
where digital pressures there, will often illicit sensations of pain closely imitating the complained of epicondylar pain, wrist, forearm pain and/or tingling and numbness to wrist and fingers

resolution is established by first reducing spinal protective behaviour, especially C5 to T4. CM is the optimal method, although sustained digital pressures along the medial scapular border
will decrease thoracic SPB and the complained of elbow symptoms quickly.
I find a 50% reduction in complained of symptoms is usually established at first Rx, followed by up to two further Rx for full and lasting resolution.
This goes for any distal T and N as well, should this be part of the mix of neural irritation symptoms.

Occasionaly, where these symptoms had been chronic for 12 months +, some stretch of the brachial plexus may be of benefit.

Take home exs, I instruct in the use of a tennis ball, used as a source of both moving and constantly applied pressure on infraspinatus ( patient supine on the floor)
This usually works well to reduce accessory muscle tone of this easily accessed muscle/nerve matrix as a feature of any reoccurring thoracic SPB.
Cheers

< Message edited by ginger -- November 16, 2015 2:57:28 AM >

Geoff Fisher
Physiotherapist
South Melbourne
Post #: 1
RE: simple solution for "tennis elbow" - November 18, 2015 3:50:46 PM   
Optimum

Geoff,

Excellent explanation. Similar to what many chiro's have been saying for years.

(in reply to ginger)
Post #: 2
RE: simple solution for "tennis elbow" - November 20, 2015 3:22:04 AM   
ginger

I must admit I have never come across a similar explanation or solution from a chiro, Optimum. It makes the best sense of course once one has allowed one's hands to do the investigating and created the solution over and over again over years. My appreciation of the methods used by Chiros is somewhat limited to manipulation and massage . Neither of which will resolve spinal referred events like "tennis elbow" with any reliable or deep effect. Your reflections welcomed. Cheers

Geoff Fisher
Physiotherapist
South Melbourne

(in reply to Optimum)
Post #: 3
RE: simple solution for "tennis elbow" - January 4, 2016 7:20:29 AM   
MichaelD

thanks for this explanation. I agree, neurodynamics should be checked too

M

(in reply to ginger)
Post #: 4
RE: simple solution for "tennis elbow" - March 20, 2016 3:39:18 AM   
mich78

Thanks for a great post! I have had some good results while combining movements with IASTM.

(in reply to MichaelD)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> simple solution for "tennis elbow" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search