Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Challenges in PT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Challenges in PT - September 24, 2015 3:17:54 PM   
alijoneson

I recently stumbled across this forum and am so grateful for it! I am in the process of applying to PT school and am seeking out information to aid in the essay portion. One of my essay topics asks what do you perceive as the needs and/or challenges in this field of study? In addition to researching the challenges, I would love some feedback from professionals in the field with real experiences of the challenges. Thank you all in advance for your input!
Post #: 1
RE: Challenges in PT - September 25, 2015 7:53:28 PM   
SpokanePT

Probably the biggest challenge that I see to physical therapy is the convergence of the student debt graph with stagnant/declining reimbursement. Reimbursement has been flat/declining for the past decade and a half, while not only have costs per class have increased for PT school, but the length of PT school has become longer. When I graduated 14 years ago, I would be willing to bet that the average therapist came out with $40-60k of loans. I can't imagine most students coming out with less than $100k of loans at this point. Because of the payment for those loans, students are asking for increased compensation, and budgets get squeezed. It is very difficult for a relatively new grad to jump off a cliff and hang a shingle for a new clinic when they are saddled with another mortgage. The DPT has given us little to no benefits clinically, but has decreased our earning potential due to loan interest loss over the term of the loan.

Acceleration Physical Therapy in Spokane WA Acceleration Physical Therapy in Deer Park WA

(in reply to alijoneson)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Challenges in PT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote