RehabEdge Physical Therapy Forum

Forums  Register  Login  Forgot Login?
  My Profile 
My Subscription
  My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? - November 27, 2012 5:52:03 PM   
tal.b

proud- + niko

i agree that the acedemic institutions need some sort of reform, as pain science was hardly mentioned in mine and emphasis was on finding a specific tissue or structure to "treat"- detected by skilled mobility assessment...

In your opinion, what would a program look like that would better hold to scientific scrutiny? what would be removed and with what would it be replaced with? as the pain science isnt really a specific "mode" of treatment or approach (more an understanding of WHY pain), how would it fit into the overall model? how would ortho and manual classes change? how would pracitals change and assessments change? what would the better structure look like?

< Message edited by tal.b -- November 27, 2012 6:25:35 PM >

(in reply to proud)
Post #: 21
RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? - November 27, 2012 8:37:35 PM   
Niko

just brainstorming here.

First of all a mission statement with emphasis on teaching pain resolution, promoting critical thinking, and investigating science.

The standard courses:
-anatomy/cadavers/dissection with emphasis on the nervous system and neural tunnels
-general neuroscience and the brain
-general physiology
-tissue pathology
-muscelosketal manifestations
-neurological manifestations
-cardiopulmunary manifestations
-pt population charactiristics: pediatrics, geriatrics,orthopedics,neurological (Stroke,SCI etc), sports, workers comp, cardiopulm, amputees etc
-exercise science
-research and biostatistics
-radiology
-pharmacology

The Core courses
-Extensive pain science, including foundations and evolution of pain science. Emphasis in neurophysiology of brain inputs (sensory,visual, nocioceptive etc) and outputs (pain, motor, behavioral etc). Latest research in neuroscience and relevance to PT. Include psychosocial influences to pain.
-a critical thinking course and science
-a course in evidence based medicine in health care
-a course with emphasis on various factors that affect the nervous system including nutrition, stress, rest, smoking etc
-a course in psychosocial issues in PT. Fear avoidance in PT.

Practical courses with emphasis on treatment/resolution (not looking for causes)
-A series of movement courses aim to eliminate pain in the brain.
-A series of manual therapy courses aim to eliminate pain in the brain. Maitland and Mulligan approach from a neuroscience perspective. Emphasis on soft tissue work as much as the previous two. Emphasis on hands on facilitated pain free movement.
-a course in chronic pain and chronic pain prevention (it’s an epidemic)
-a course in how to best deal with psychosocial issues
-a course in how to cope as a therapist and to avoid burnout
-a course in cognitive behavioral therapy in PT ( include here Ergonomics, body mechanics etc)
-a course in effective interaction with patients and patient education (last few can be combined)
-A course in physical conditioning.
-a therex course based on mindfulness and relaxation

what to take out:
courses just for modalities, biomechanical rationales for pain, assessments that are proven unreliable or invalid, focus on the techniques

Practical examinations focused on clinical reasoning and the why, and the quality of interaction, not the technicalities of assessment or treatment

Clinical internships with the school to mandate that the mentor is well informed of the literature and has read the program curriculum and mission statement, agreed to allow for critical thinking and promote creativity.

(in reply to tal.b)
Post #: 22
RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? - November 27, 2012 8:48:44 PM   
bgalindpt

sounds great. But, sounds like a DScPT program curriculum more than any sort of residency. If a university offered this as a DScPT I would have gone there way before a post graduate DPT or a residency. I know some folks on here did a DScPT, maybe they can shed light as to whether this curriculum is similar.

BMG Healthcare Services
Medicare Home Health Consultants
www.bmghealthcareservices.com

(in reply to Niko)
Post #: 23
RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? - November 29, 2012 5:06:43 PM   
proud

quote:

ORIGINAL: tal.b

proud- + niko

i agree that the acedemic institutions need some sort of reform, as pain science was hardly mentioned in mine and emphasis was on finding a specific tissue or structure to "treat"- detected by skilled mobility assessment...

In your opinion, what would a program look like that would better hold to scientific scrutiny? what would be removed and with what would it be replaced with? as the pain science isnt really a specific "mode" of treatment or approach (more an understanding of WHY pain), how would it fit into the overall model? how would ortho and manual classes change? how would pracitals change and assessments change? what would the better structure look like?

Tal.b,

I know where the answers to you last two comments are...

1) What would a science-based curriculm look like and;
2) File sharing.

Shall I PM you?

(in reply to tal.b)
Post #: 24
RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? - November 29, 2012 7:21:01 PM   
tal.b

quote:

Tal.b,

I know where the answers to you last two comments are...

1) What would a science-based curriculm look like and;
2) File sharing.

Shall I PM you?

Proud,
sure - appreciated!
i just read an interview with a Dr Bialosky at the SS site that touches on some of this as well:
http://www.somasimple.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9378

(in reply to proud)
Post #: 25
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> RE: Residency and Fellowship - Is it worth it? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search