My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

measuring productivity

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> measuring productivity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
measuring productivity - July 20, 2012 2:41:44 PM   
outptmgr

Hot topic in my department right now is how to best measure productivity in an Outpatient clinic. We are looking at units/day or units/hour and also patients/day as possibilities. What does everyone else do...and what are your expectations for your staff.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: measuring productivity - July 20, 2012 4:56:26 PM   
OH_PT

Great topic. I own a private practice with three locations. We currently track the total # of visits per therapist divided by hours worked. For example if a PT or PTA works 40-hours a week and treats a total of 50 visits their production quotient is 1.25.

Next we look at units per hour of work so in the same example that clinician might see 50 patient visits producing 160 units which results in 3.2 units / hour. (We make an eval unit equal two treatment units.) Finally, we track average revenue collected per unit. So if a therapist averages 160 units per 40 hours of work and the average collections per unit is $17 per unit, then the therapist is producing 160 x $17 = $2,720 / work week or $68/hour of work.

Each stat is important:
Raw visits per week will show general production. We also track # of visits to discharge and # of patients coming TIW, BIW, QID, and # of patients not scheduled.

Units per visit and collections per unit tells us how profitable each clinician is and provides an objective way to quantify salary.

We track and compare # of scheduled patients and # of completed treatments on a daily basis to determine if a therapist’s patients are compliant. This tells us if the patient values the therapist’s services they are receiving. There are many other stats we track, but hopefully this gives you a little information to consider.

Finally, we determine production levels on an individual basis. Some therapists do well treating higher volumes while other do well treating lower volumes. I determine maximum volume then shoot for 80% as an attainable goal. A therapist that wants to treat a lower number of patients might be more productive than a therapist willing to treat a higher volume of patients if that therapists patients are more compliant or that therapist learns how to capitalize on cancellations or no shows.

Good luck

(in reply to outptmgr)
Post #: 2
RE: measuring productivity - July 22, 2012 7:45:25 PM   
outptmgr

excellent information - thanks so much for the reply.

(in reply to OH_PT)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> measuring productivity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search