My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Squats and Squat Jump

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Squats and Squat Jump Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Squats and Squat Jump - May 20, 2012 7:18:36 PM   
pateln9857

Hi,
I need some advice in two matters:
1. How to get someone to squat without their toes lifting off the ground. This is a 30 yr old male, lean but not exactly fit, history of low back pain which has gotten better. I tried having him lean his trunk a bit more anteriorly to match the angle of his shins, tried holding a med ball out in front to act as a counterweight. His quads seem to be tight but we have been working on that with foam rolling and a dynamic warm up before working out and static stretching after. Maybe I am not doing the right things, any advice would be great.
2. 16 yo female cheerleader working on jump mechanics. She is in decent shape, although slightly overweight. We have been working a couple weeks on some light plyos. At first, real bad valgus during take off on the squat jump. We worked on strengthening the abductors and hips overall. Had her jump in front of a mirror. This definitely made a difference, but we are not at 100% yet. What can we do?

Thank You!
Post #: 1
RE: Squats and Squat Jump - June 3, 2012 10:09:48 PM   
VagusX

1. I don't know what the problem with his weight being more over the heels during a squat. He will produce more power and efficiency from the glutes and hamstrings during squat with his center of gravity over the ankle joint, heel and lateral foot. Unless you are just trying to work on balance and his ability to weight shift I wouldn't worry about getting him to move his weight to the toes.

2. Start by teaching her to jump with her medial arches/insides of feet touching on take off and landing. Have her perform small jumps until she gets her form down. Emphasize her knees and hips externally rotated during take off and landing. Follow up with having her jump from a 6" step with the same mechanics and with using the mirror for feedback. Progress to spreading the feet but keeping the same LE mechanics.

(in reply to pateln9857)
Post #: 2
RE: Squats and Squat Jump - August 3, 2012 11:32:00 PM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

Got to stick the butt out. Think Linebacker. It is obviously imperative that the COG stays within the base of support. to get deeper but still functional, you have to flex at the hip more. if the toes are coming up, their weight is at the very posterior limit of their BOS. They have to shift it forward and you do that by flexing at the hip.

(in reply to VagusX)
Post #: 3
RE: Squats and Squat Jump - February 14, 2013 7:11:31 AM   
Mike Wilson

If your feet aren't flat, then you are doing something wrong. Most likely, you are allowing your knees to move forward, which forces your heels up. This is DANGEROUS to your knees.

Drug and alcohol treatment

(in reply to Tom Reeves DPT ATC)
Post #: 4
RE: Squats and Squat Jump - January 31, 2014 6:58:38 PM   
Augustine51

Hello,

With regards to the squats, have you assessed tightness in the gastroc and soleus? If these areas are "normal" than I would try to have him do the activity with a 2 x 2 piece of wood under his heels. This worked wonders for me years ago.

Hope this works for you too!

Tom
Summit Physical Therapy & Sports Care

(in reply to Mike Wilson)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Squats and Squat Jump Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search