RehabEdge Physical Therapy Forum

Forums  Register  Login  Forgot Login?
  My Profile 
My Subscription
  My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular shift.

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular shift. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular shift. - May 9, 2012 8:12:32 PM   
JohnFeil

I have a 28 y/o pt who had a bankart lesion and was repaired with an anterior capsular shift. He is about 14 weeks post op.

Full pain free flexion and abduction AROM
At 90* of abduction he has pain around 70* of ER.

I read that after this procedure there should be full AROM by this point.

Joint mobs to improve the motion during ER at the GH joint are painful.

His surgical UE is grossly 4/5 MMT w/ ER being about 4-/5

I have been doing a ot of dynamic stabilization and PNF excerises to inc cuff strength and stability.

Any other ideas?

John Feil PT, DPT, OCS, MCMT, CSCS, CKTP
Post #: 1
RE: Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular ... - May 10, 2012 12:06:32 PM   
honker23

Is the surgeon concerned about his ER?  I would think this is fine, he had a capsular shift to stabilize the joint and protect the anterior labrum.  Unless he's trying to return to pitching, I wouldn't be too concerned.  I think cuff exercises with dynamic stabilization sounds perect.

(in reply to JohnFeil)
Post #: 2
RE: Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular ... - May 10, 2012 3:32:42 PM   
JohnFeil

I placed a call to the doctor earlier this week , but no call back yet. The pt states the surgeon told him he was done with him and no more visits to him were necessary 2 weeks ago. The surgeon told him to cont PT 1x/week for the the 4 weeks.

The pt is a police officer and states the lack of ROM could possibly effect him if he had to apprehend someone. He also reports pain laying on that side when sleeping. He is also a very active and physical fit indivual, states most overhead workouts cause pain.

The pt did not have any tears of his bicep or RTC during the intial injury.

I hope I can talk to the surgeon , not sure if he will make the time to take a call though

John Feil PT, DPT, OCS, MCMT, CSCS, CKTP

(in reply to honker23)
Post #: 3
RE: Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular ... - May 11, 2012 8:31:35 PM   
SpokanePT

I always like to consider the scapulothoracic, upper thoracic and first few ribs in terms of mobility. Typically they are not moving well into extension/rotation to that side. That being said, some stiffness into ER after a Bankhart is fairly typical.

Acceleration Physical Therapy in Spokane WA Acceleration Physical Therapy in Deer Park WA

(in reply to JohnFeil)
Post #: 4
RE: Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular ... - May 14, 2012 2:31:21 PM   
treybien

It is not uncommon for surgeons to tighten the ER portion of this too tight. Becomes the tortoise side of the tortoise and hare and I have seen a few that have ended up with long term limitation or capsulatomy.

(in reply to SpokanePT)
Post #: 5
RE: Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular ... - May 23, 2012 8:10:35 PM   
rwillcott

Tell him that the reduced ROM is normal at this stage. What you read doesn't apply to ALL patients that have this surgery. Tell him his surgeon is right and that he will be fine. He has full flexion and abduction which is great! He will be able to adapt and continue to be able to apprehend people. Think of all the MMA fighters with this injury that can still submit people.

(in reply to treybien)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> Lack of ROM in ER/IR after Bankart repair/capsular shift. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search