My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Bilateral Transfer during injury

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Bilateral Transfer during injury Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bilateral Transfer during injury - April 3, 2012 10:43:20 PM   
VagusX

Hi guys

I had an unfortunate incident at the gym this weekend. I normally work out at my clinic with just dumbbell and kettlebells but this weekend I had some time to go to a gym for the first time in many months. I was like a kid at the candy store working legs and biceps on a variety of "new" racks and machine. "New" being exercises that I have experience with in the past but not exercises that I have done in current exercise routine at the clinic.

So I hopped on the preacher curl rack and I performed 3 reps and on the eccentric I felt a pop in my left biceps and saw part of my muscle crawl up my arm. I assessed myself and felt that the biceps was still intact with the hook test. I saw an orthopod on Monday and he ordered a MRI and he believes it to be a tear at my musculotendonous junction of the distal biceps.

I'll update the MRI finding when I get it in a few days but I'm wondering what people's takes are on training the contralateral side during the recovery process. From what I've read is that "Bilateral Transfer" can occur by training the contralateral side and can help reduce the amount of muscle loss to the injured arm.

I'd like to keep training as much as possible during my recovery. Does anybody think that training the uninjured arm will have any negative effects?
Post #: 1
RE: Bilateral Transfer during injury - April 27, 2013 4:43:51 PM   
ianwvu

From what I understand there is up to a 10% crossover to affected side when training the contra-lateral side. I don't see any reason why it would be contraindicated.

(in reply to VagusX)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Bilateral Transfer during injury Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search