My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

injury prevention

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> injury prevention Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
injury prevention - January 4, 2012 6:47:16 AM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22065184?dopt=Abstract

An interesting study about a different type of warm-up versus more standard ones and its effects on the incidence of injury.
Post #: 1
RE: injury prevention - January 23, 2013 6:34:06 AM   
Mike Wilson

Thanks for sharing this guide. I use to run and sometimes get ankle disordered. Such injury prevention is needed for a sports person to keep himself fit and running.

(in reply to Sebastian Asselbergs)
Post #: 2
RE: injury prevention - January 23, 2013 7:12:06 AM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

Very interesesting article Bas. (at least the abstract was interesting but I had to look further to see what they meant by neuromuscular warm-up) Once I found that I had to say . . . "duh!?!" It seems to me that it makes perfect sense. Proprioception failures have always been the most common reason for injury along with direct trauma. It seems to me to be intuitively obvious but maybe its not to everyone. The days of straight plane calisthenics are hopefully over. I have been teaching that concept (of neuromuscular warm up and training for years to my coaches and teams) and those that comply definitely have fewer injuries.

Good find though.

(in reply to Mike Wilson)
Post #: 3
RE: injury prevention - January 25, 2013 8:39:38 AM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

Thanks, and you're right Tom - I had the same reaction.

However, I must admit that 30 years ago, the ten-step osteopathic pelvic assessment and Janda's ober/unterkreuz ALSO made much sense to me .....
At least now my (our) "Duh" is supported by some evidence. :-)

(in reply to Tom Reeves DPT ATC)
Post #: 4
RE: injury prevention - January 16, 2014 9:54:12 AM   
Augustine51

Hello..thanks for the link:)

In my clinic, I advocate 5 Tips for back injury prevention or re-injury. Thought I would share:

Tip 1. Reduce risk factors to prevent back pain: This includes smoking (decreased oxygen to the intervertebral discs), obesity (increased load on the spine) and stress.

Tip 2. Identify with the early signs of back trouble: These are not to be ignored and include muscle stiffness or tightness (especially in the morning), difficulty in straightening up after getting out of a chair, and minor intermittent aches and pains.

Tip 3. Balance flexion and extension activities to prevent back pain: Because lumbar flexion dominates most of the normal day (sitting, work postures, lifting) we must balance our daily routine with extension patterns. Without a proper balance between these two activities, an imbalance is likely to occur and back pain is soon to follow.

Tip 4. Prevent prolonged loading and repetitive movements to prevent back pain: Avoid loading your spine in one position for any prolonged period of time. Look to change positions and unload the spine frequently through out the day or as often as needed.

Tip 5. Maintain good fitness to prevent back pain: Achieving strength and flexibility around the spine can greatly affect the healthy status of your lower back. A balanced exercise program is always a good idea.

Hope you guys like these....

Tom
Summit Physical Therapy & Sports Care

(in reply to Sebastian Asselbergs)
Post #: 5
RE: injury prevention - January 24, 2014 10:55:46 AM   
LBDPT

Ok, good abstract, thank you Sebastian for posting. Tom, how did you find the article and warm up itself? I am clicking in circles, so to speak.
thanks,
bethPT

(in reply to Augustine51)
Post #: 6
RE: injury prevention - January 28, 2014 2:13:50 PM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

If you click on the abstract link that Bas posted, in the top right hand corner of the abstract page there is a link for full text.

(in reply to LBDPT)
Post #: 7
RE: injury prevention - February 4, 2014 2:19:12 PM   
LBDPT

Thank you.
Beth

(in reply to Tom Reeves DPT ATC)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> injury prevention Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search