My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Long thoracic nerve palsy

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> Long thoracic nerve palsy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Long thoracic nerve palsy - February 15, 2006 1:12:00 PM   
tishasutton

I have a patient with Serratus Anterior weakness due to long thoracic nerve palsy- I was interested in reading the case report- Watson CJ, Schenkman M. Physical therapy management of isolated serratus anterior muscle paralysis. Phys Ther. 1995;75:194-202.-And I was wondering if any of you have it on hand electronically?

Also, if you have any suggestions on exercises that I can give him for strengthening- it would be very helpful.

A little bit of history- 41y/o male with an onset of right shoulder pain- has hx of pos labral tear in shoulder- He started having pain at the end of his day- he is a cop. Pt also states that he was doing push-ups and he felt that his shoulder was tearing.
Evaluation shows winging of the scapula with abduction and flexion. MMT of trap and rhomboids are 5/5. Little to no muscle contraction from the serratus ant. Pt. had an EMG study that was positive for Long thoracic nerve palsy. Pt. has Full ROM of cervical spine, and no hx of neck/cervical pain. -Spurling, -Distraction, -ULTT and he denies any numbness or tingling.
I am currently applying NMES to his serratus ant while he does a scapular stab program.
If anybody has any suggestions- or treatment plans that have worked for them in the past, I would be happy to hear them.
Post #: 1
Re: Long thoracic nerve palsy - February 15, 2006 8:20:00 PM   
certMDT

Check your email for the article. You could also look for the following:

Role of scapular stabilizers in etiology and treatment of impingement syndrome.

Schmitt L, Snyder-Mackler L.

J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1999 Jan;29(1):31-8.

If memory serves, this is the article that incorporated a brace to support the scapula and prevent winging in active shoulder exercises.

Charles Sheets PT OCS Dip MDT

(in reply to tishasutton)
Post #: 2
Re: Long thoracic nerve palsy - February 15, 2006 9:52:00 PM   
bp2317

hey charles, do you mind sending that article my way also? i too am treating a patient with scapular winging and would love more insight. thanks.

Brian Phillips, PT

Post #: 3
Re: Long thoracic nerve palsy - February 16, 2006 12:55:00 AM   
Alex Brenner PT MPT OCS

The only thing that I could add is that there is a fine line with the serratus strengthening. The long thoracic nerve is probably trying to reinnervate and if you work the muscle to fatigue it is possible that you could effect this negatively. I do not know of any studies that show this; just going off of personal experience working with peripheral nerve injury.

He should have a repeat EMG in 6-12 weeks to assess recovery. If the nerve is reinnervating then the he will demonstrate something called polyphasic potentials when the needle is in the SA. This is a good thing. Good luck!

Alex Brenner, PT, MPT, OCS

Post #: 4
Re: Long thoracic nerve palsy - February 16, 2006 9:35:00 PM   
sanfilipo

You might also want to check out "Long thoracic nerve injury". Clin Orthop Relat Res. 199 Nov;(368):17-27 by Waiter JM, Flatow EL. And the article "Scapula Winger's Brace: a case series on the management of long thoracic nerve palsy." Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 1998 Oct Vol. 79(10) Pgs 1226-30.

I have a similar case involving a young CNA. My limited lit. search came up with mixed reviews and results. Her responce to therapy after 4 weeks is fair...with pain now down to a 1-4/10 on VAS. Myo strength of serratus anterior is 1-2/5. Agree with previous post, and get a EMG, follow up after several months, see if reinnervating. Lots of luck.

Fred SanFilipo, DC

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> Long thoracic nerve palsy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search