Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> MCL Sprain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MCL Sprain - November 8, 2010 6:56:22 AM   
Dors

Hello all
First I would like to say, as this is my first post, that I really enjoy this site and forum and I learn a lot, so thanks.
Second, I am not sure its OK to ask such questions (as I am about to) that relate to my injury but I'll give it a shot and if its not in place please delete it or move etc.
So, long story short, I am 39 years old and I play football as a running back. a year ago I suffered a rather painful MCL sprain (diagnosed by MRI) that ended my season but the doctor (top 5 knee expert in my country) told me that it will heal in a matter of months and that my football days are not done.
The knee actually became pretty strong and stable during the off season in which I took really good care of things in respect to strength training (did a lot of balance, single limb and flexibility work) and got much stronger and even faster and explosive.
I actually was able to play two games until I had some kind of a shock in my knee (I think upon landing or jumping over a player) that got my knee unstable again and started to swallow.
Now, I am just a PT enthusiast that only takes care of himself but I got to learn some pretty good tricks and technics but I would like to ask if you have any suggestions regarding rehab that I may use to get back on the field ASAP?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: MCL Sprain - November 4, 2013 1:56:40 AM   
Mike Wilson

An MCL injury is a sprain or tear to the medial collateral ligament and is a band of tissue on the inside of your knee. It connects your thighbone to the bone of your lower leg. The MCL keeps the knee from bending inward.You can hurt your MCL during activities that involve bending, twisting, or a quick change of direction.
On average, it takes six weeks for a MCL injury to heal. The initial treatment focuses on reducing the pain and inflammation in the knee while immobilizing the knee to keep it stabilized.
Proper treatment should be taken. It can include resting, icing, taking pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen, to ease pain and swelling.
Depending on the severity of injury, wearing lightweight cast or brace can allow your knee to move backward and forward while restricting side-to-side movement.
Once the pain and swelling subside, you will begin rehabilitation, which will include exercises to restore strength and normal range of motion to your knee.
Depending on the severity of the injury, a period of rest, bracing and physical therapy usually is sufficient to heal the tear.
Recovery time differs depending on the severity of the injury: If your pain persists, I would recommend that you consult a health care professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
An MCL injury is a sprain or tear to the medial collateral ligament and is a band of tissue on the inside of your knee. It connects your thighbone to the bone of your lower leg. The MCL keeps the knee from bending inward.You can hurt your MCL during activities that involve bending, twisting, or a quick change of direction.

Drug and alcohol treatment

(in reply to Dors)
Post #: 2
RE: MCL Sprain - March 20, 2016 3:37:35 AM   
mich78

Good image for MCL sprain: http://www.physioroom.com/images/anatomy/collateral_ligament_1.jpg

(in reply to Mike Wilson)
Post #: 3
RE: MCL Sprain - December 21, 2016 12:47:45 AM   
Therstrons

A ligament sprain is very common among athletes. A friend of mine had a ligament sprain and had undergone a physiotherapy in Toronto for a relief. Many of us are confused about the difference between the ligament sprain and the ligament tear. Here is a blog which explains in detail about it. Hope you will find it informative.
http://www.physiomobility.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-a-ligament-sprain-and-a-ligament-tear/

(in reply to mich78)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> MCL Sprain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote