Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Ankle Sprains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ankle Sprains - October 2, 2010 11:18:04 PM   
Mike.1283

Hey everyone 1st post here, so I guess I need a quick intro also, I'm a personal trainer, aspiring S&C Coach and student taking courses towards a Masters.
I'm currently having issues with an ankle sprain that just won't seem to get better, and I'd love to hear some opinions, because a lot of my peers that I've chatted with prior haven't heard anything like it.
I sprained my ankle about 3 months ago and I went through about 8 sessions with a PT she did all the basics Ultrasound, some mobilization (not enough for what I'd like, but not the current issue) and obviously the strengthening that we all do for ankle sprains with bands and BAPS boards.  The issues are as follow, I'm getting random ankle pain (pain would most likely resemble a 'cramp' feeling) but its in the ligaments (ATFL) and talus. The pain tends to be random, but more frequent when I'm doing anything above steady state running, or moving laterally, I do feel some cracking and some instability through the joint when doing some steady state work. When I run my finger or ice (ice massage) over the area of the ATFL I feel a tingling down into my final 2 toes, which makes me believe something is 'impeding' the nerve. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed by soft tissue/manual therapy/mobilization or if it needs time to heal.
Post #: 1
RE: Ankle Sprains - November 5, 2010 12:23:57 PM   
SpokanePT

Make sure that the distal tib/fib joint is gliding posteriorly during dorsiflexion. There is a nice tape job using Leukotape to try and facilitate the motion.

Acceleration Physical Therapy in Spokane WA

(in reply to Mike.1283)
Post #: 2
RE: Ankle Sprains - November 5, 2010 1:35:57 PM   
Shill

Could be an OCD lesion of the lateral superior talar dome for the ankle pain part, and for the tingling that you are icing your superficial peroneal nerve or a branch of it.

(in reply to SpokanePT)
Post #: 3
RE: Ankle Sprains - October 22, 2013 1:53:42 AM   
Mike Wilson

An ankle sprain is a partial or complete tear of the ligaments that support the ankle. Ankle sprains are caused due to sudden twisting of ankle, stepping upon uneven surface or taking awkward step while running or jumping, ankle role while playing sports. There may be three types of risks such as minor partial or major. Some common treatment which can be done can be giving rest and applying ice for 30 min daily for at least 3-4 days which will help in reducing swelling and pain. Wrap the injured part with ace bandage and try to keeping your ankle elevated. Take some proper medication for health care professional who would help in reducing inflammation and pain. Begin with exercises to restore flexibility, range of motion, and strength of the muscles. So would suggest you to opt for some treatments and if there is no change in your ankle then does consult a health care professional.

(in reply to Mike.1283)
Post #: 4
RE: Ankle Sprains - January 20, 2014 10:34:24 AM   
Augustine51

Hello,

That "tingling"sensation is probably just a byproduct of nerve irritation related to the "instability" you talked about.

In my opinion, based on the instability you mentioned during high level activity, you need more balance/proprioception training. Maybe you did not get enough during your physical therapy visits? It is common to see re-occurring ankle sprains and pain when this retraining is not done.

Best Regards,

Tom
Summit Physical Therapy & Sports Care

(in reply to Mike Wilson)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Ankle Sprains Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread