My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Best conservative treatments for stenosis without Myelopathy

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> Best conservative treatments for stenosis without Myelopathy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best conservative treatments for stenosis without Myelo... - August 24, 2010 7:21:12 PM   
Dr. Ratcliffe

Ok. Have a patient with Cervical stenosis. Congenitally narrow and absolute. Had neuro-surg consult and as of yet no myelopathy. Occasionally has random arm paresthesia. EMG normal. At this point he does well with passive modalities (interferrential, US, etc.), Myofascial/Active Release and Graston therapy, Stretching. I have seen in the literature that spinal manip can rarely cause myelopathy if stenosis present so am reluctant to perform. Any other ideas. I am open.You can either click on <a href=http://www.novachiro.com/>Chiropractor in Northern Virginia</a> or go directly to http://www.novachiro.com.
Post #: 1
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 25, 2010 6:43:40 AM   
rwillcott

I would trial a treatment plan consisting of mechanical traction, thoracic manipulation and exercise program focusing on deep neck flexors and scapular stabilizers.

(in reply to Dr. Ratcliffe)
Post #: 2
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 25, 2010 1:28:23 PM   
ragempt

Let's start over. What is the chief complaint? Or did he walk in with the complaint of stenosis?

(in reply to rwillcott)
Post #: 3
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 25, 2010 1:41:04 PM   
ysumpt2006

I mirror the previous question. What is the chief complaint? Is he functional? If so, why the PT at all?

Ken Shearer, PT
http://lonewolfstrength.wordpress.com

(in reply to ragempt)
Post #: 4
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 26, 2010 10:41:37 AM   
fapt

The data you show up indicate the dysfunction and what is the pt c/o? I can't find it?

Anything should be suspecious in your mind.

(in reply to ysumpt2006)
Post #: 5
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 26, 2010 12:29:33 PM   
rwillcott

I noticed from your website you offer physical therapy.  However, you have no phsical therapist on staff.  Interesting.

(in reply to fapt)
Post #: 6
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 26, 2010 2:14:44 PM   
OAK

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwillcott

I noticed from your website you offer physical therapy.  However, you have no phsical therapist on staff.  Interesting.

Can you explain this Dr. Ratcliffe?

(in reply to rwillcott)
Post #: 7
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 26, 2010 5:45:34 PM   
gundy0521

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwillcott

I would trial a treatment plan consisting of mechanical traction, thoracic manipulation and exercise program focusing on deep neck flexors and scapular stabilizers.

Assuming no hard neuro signs or other contraindications, definately an approach to go with.

As with previous posters, I'm interested in the following quote from your website: "He is a certified and licensed to perform physiotherapy..."

If you are not a physical therapist (physiotherapist), how do you justify this statement? In the state of Virginia, physical therapy and physiotherapy are now protected titles.

You'll likely have to change this.

http://www.vpta.org/secure/legislative/index.cfm

(in reply to rwillcott)
Post #: 8
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 27, 2010 8:33:40 AM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

don't even spell chiropractic right on the website.   dazzling

(in reply to gundy0521)
Post #: 9
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 30, 2010 12:06:23 PM   
fapt

NO physio there was found...

Anything should be suspecious in your mind.

(in reply to Tom Reeves DPT ATC)
Post #: 10
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - August 30, 2010 1:58:50 PM   
JWarePT

Dr. Ratcliffe,

You know, just because you participate in a physical therapy discussion forum doesn't give you an exemption from compliance with the VA State PT Practice Act through your use of the protected term "physical therapy" on your website.

Don't bother thanking me for the savings in legal fees.

(in reply to Dr. Ratcliffe)
Post #: 11
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - September 24, 2010 12:44:41 PM   
JSPT

Just caught up with this discussion.  I agree to the "foul" call on "Dr." Ratcliffe.  I love 2 things about his website, however:

1. I can't resist a chiro in scrubs
2. The pic of him pointing at the diagnostic on the light box looks like he's playing a game of "Where's Waldo".  Thought bubble = "Oh yeah, you definitely has subluxation; I can tell by the picture".

(in reply to JWarePT)
Post #: 12
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - September 30, 2010 8:36:52 AM   
ysumpt2006

Well he does have board certification in Advanced Rehabilitation (sense the sarcasm). I wonder what the backlash would be if PT's advertised that they provide chiropractic care (not that we would)? How would that go over? I bet "Dr" Ratcliffe would be just a little bit opposed to the notion.

Ken Shearer, PT
http://lonewolfstrength.wordpress.com

(in reply to JSPT)
Post #: 13
RE: Best conservative treatments for stenosis without M... - May 7, 2011 11:27:45 AM   
chiroortho

Good grief, I step in for a while and find this. 

Advertising, misspellings and hyperbole come as a package. 

As for the potential Board issues, if true, I think some excellent advice has been given here.  If your Board disallows it, please reconsider your assertions.  Nobody wants to see anyone get into trouble. 

Greg Priest, DC, DABCO

(in reply to ysumpt2006)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> Best conservative treatments for stenosis without Myelopathy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search