Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Pediatrics >> Newborn positions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newborn positions - July 12, 2009 12:35:24 PM   
PTjunkie0108

Hi all, I am hoping for some help here. I am a physical therapist, but I am also a dad of a 2 month old baby boy. Very exciting, but a lot of work. The reason for this post is to get some feedback on the different products they sell out there to put your newborn in. My wife and I have had multiple discussions about this, but I feel like with some advice from pediatric Physical Therapists, we can get some good feedback.

We have purchased or have been given multiple baby seats (i.e. bouncer chair, high chair, swing, jumparoo, boppy chair), and during the day when my wife is trying to get things done around the house, she will put him in any of these chair for a lengh of time (varies from 15 mins. to an hour), sometimes even at night if he is getting fussy while sleeping on his back. I have read on websites and have been told by people that these products that are so available to us parents are bad for their development, and that letting the child lie in supine or prone throughout the day (or holding them of course) is the best position for them. My wife tends to think that it is ok to leave them in these seats a little bit longer than I am comfortable with, but I on the other hand (the thinking PT that I am), am not comfortable with putting him in all these seats all the time. My concern is that by doing this, it puts them in different positions that may hinder his cognitive and motor developments.

I do also notice that a lot of times he will become quite fussy and seem uncomfortable lying down on either his back or his stomach, but as soon as we put him in the swing or the bouncer chair, he'll be fine. Sometimes he'll even sound stuffy if he is lying on his back, and this could be another reason why he doesn't like lying in this position. Do either of these issues seem to be a point of concern? Or is this normal for a normal developed 2 month old newborn.

Just to give you some insight on to what he is doing now ...
At almost 8 weeks, he can follow an object, respond to mommy and daddy, he is beginning to reach his arm out to objects, and only once so far (still very early I believe), he was able to roll from supine to prone. He is also not quite able to hold his head up yet for a prolonged period of time, but he is certainly trying. He was born with Erb's Palsy, but neither the pediatrician nor I seem to believe that this is an issue anymore.

I would love any and all feedback from the pediatric physical therapists out there to help out a fellow physical therapist, but more importantly ... first time parents.

< Message edited by PTjunkie0108 -- July 12, 2009 12:38:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Newborn positions - July 13, 2009 4:33:39 PM   
gerry

First of all, congratulations!  Enjoy every minute.  Even those walking around trying to get him quiet and sleeping in the wee hours of the night/morning.  It can be hard as a PT, not to focus on milestones and whether he is right on target for every one, etc.  Video him every couple of weeks doing developmental stuff.  It will be fun for you to look back on.  We got the first roll prone to supine on video (at 4 months by the way, so it early :) ).

As far as equipment, the adage "variety is the spice of life", captures my thoughts.  As long as he is not staying in one position for extended periods of time, most anything that is safe and supportive is OK.  15 minutes to an hour is fine in my opinion.  There may be positions and seats he prefers, and others he does not care for, but just keep aiming for variety.  You are familiar with the "back to sleep" campaign, there is also a "Tummy time" push to remind people that infants need both for development.  You can look either up on the web. 

You may also find recommendations to not use infant walkers because of injuries to children who use them.  This seems to have more to do with children pushing the walkers into unsafe situations.  It seems as long as the child is supervised, this decreases that risk.  However, many people use the walkers as a distraction to keep the babies happy so you can do something else.  In this circumstance, it may be wiser to use seats that are not mobile. 

Hope this helps a little. 

gerry (pround father of 19, 16, and 13 years olds)

(in reply to PTjunkie0108)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Pediatrics >> Newborn positions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote