My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Web-Based Affordable EMR?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> Web-Based Affordable EMR? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Web-Based Affordable EMR? - July 1, 2009 1:00:07 AM   
NCPT

As a PT in private practice, I like the idea of having an efficient,  easy to use web-based documentation system so I don't have to worry about keeping stacks of files for years to come. The trouble is, I haven't found any that are affordable and do what I want them to. The well laid out one are often VERY expensive and do WAY MORE than I'm interested in. Most charge big upfront or monthly fees. It gets worse if you have lots of part time staff. I wish there was a system that charged based on the number of patient records stored - so if I'm making money then they can make money - but I don't want to pay a lot monthly if the case load is really low.

Has anyone else found a simple web-based documentation program that's affordable? It doesn't need to do everything... I don't mind typing a simple daily SOAP note instead of going through a hundred drop down form fields.

Are there any other private practice owners looking/ interested for this type of product?
Post #: 1
RE: Web-Based Affordable EMR? - October 31, 2010 10:44:55 AM   
OH_PT

The only web based EMR I have looked at for PTs are WebPT and Spectrasoft. The problem I had with these as well as others I had purchased in the past (Redoc and PTAdvantage/Compulink) is that they are so difficult to modify. I hate having blank fields on my printed evals or other reports. Also, there was no way to effectively integrate our patient forms and admissions paperwork, so my administrative staff was entering all my patient information into the EMR then again onto patient forms.

The only thing I can say is most of my colleagues do really well with simple MS Word templates. I created an opensource MS Access database program that allows my staff to print all my patient forms including admissions, fax cover pages, exercise flowsheets, etc and allows me to complete Evals, R/As, and Discharges. I have an option to complete Daily SOAP notes, but my staff still prefers paper for that.

If you want I would be happy to share it with you, but I would recommend spending much money on the EMR's that are out there today.
Good Luck
Tony

PS: I forgot to mention, my fear with a web-based system is losing internet during an evaluation. My practice has 5 locations and we use a single server with remote desktop. It is relatively low cost, but even with a single location you can create a network and share an MS Access database very easily without a server.

(in reply to NCPT)
Post #: 2
RE: Web-Based Affordable EMR? - October 31, 2010 12:38:48 PM   
SJBird55

Currently I do the same thing... created a Word template and have my reports looking nice - they have eye appeal. 
I had some thoughts on my demo experience with WebPT:  http://blog.myphysicaltherapyspace.com/2010/08/change-being-a-single-voice-for-change-isnt-easy.html

The way you don't lose the internet is you either buy something (don't know what it is called) that creates the wireless hotspot if you are using laptops... you can also purchase something or another to stick into a USB port (I think that's where it goes) which allows you to have internet access.  I think this service can be a pay as you go kind of thing.  Reduces the cost to you just use it when internet is not functioning.  I was worried about that too with going electronic web-based and that was the best solution I could brainstorm.

I still haven't made the switch to an electronic EMR... but I want to. 

(in reply to OH_PT)
Post #: 3
RE: Web-Based Affordable EMR? - October 31, 2010 11:02:01 PM   
snatar

Hi
ALl of you in homehealth have you considered telehealth ?
I am working on a research paper on telehealth and PT / HEP supervision via computer networks ... telehealth is already very effective for cardiovascular and diabetes monitoring for a home bound patient
Any thoughts on PT program / do any of you use any kind of telehealth in your work ?
thanks
shuba

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 4
RE: Web-Based Affordable EMR? - November 1, 2010 6:19:03 AM   
SJBird55

Telehealth won't be widespread in PT until it is payable for PT. 
http://tinyurl.com/2a7hla2

(in reply to snatar )
Post #: 5
RE: Web-Based Affordable EMR? - December 1, 2010 2:22:12 PM   
SSPTnFL

All of our partner private practice clinics utilize Therapy Source (product line of Source Medical) for EMR. I use it only when doing fill-in work at a few of our clinics I remain actively licensed in. The daily notes are a breeze but evals tend to be a bit time consuming for my liking. We use a touchscreen notebook so it's basically touch and go. What I like about it is two-fold. 1. You can't close out the note until it is compliant with CMS regulations and it is formatted for all payers and CPT time requirements (customizable by state and carriers). 2. It will capture what you are actually doing during skilled PT intervention and automatically bill for it eliminating the "habitual & apathetic" billing most PT's do. I think their latest estimates are about an $8 increase in net rev per visit.

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> Web-Based Affordable EMR? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search