My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

bipolar hip precautions

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> bipolar hip precautions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
bipolar hip precautions - June 28, 2009 2:01:19 AM   
l_a

I got a 92 y.o. pt with a Dx of femoral neck ORIF resulting from fall. As I was going through the eval, I as told that the SNF told her she was not allowed to bend at waist.
A little confused by this, I faxed the doctor for clarification: did she or didn't she have a THR? answer: "Bipolar" is all that he wrote back.
At first I thought he meant the pt was bipolar, but I didn't see what that had to do with my question. luckily someone else told me there was such a thing as a bipolar hip replacement. I did some digging, but I could find nothing that tells me if someone with this procedure is under hip precautions!

Anyone know?

thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: bipolar hip precautions - June 29, 2009 3:44:47 PM   
Myostrain

Yes,
Its easier to identify if hip precautions are needed based on the type of approach for the surgery but since there aren't many anterior approaches; you can assume unless heard otherwise follow the hip precautions.

(in reply to l_a)
Post #: 2
RE: bipolar hip precautions - June 29, 2009 5:25:14 PM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

If they have to dislocate the hip to do the surgery, they should be under hip precautions.  you avoid the position of dislocation just like you would with a shoulder.  With an ORIF for example, you would not have "hip  precautions" because the hip joint is intact and stabile

(in reply to Myostrain)
Post #: 3
RE: bipolar hip precautions - July 8, 2009 9:30:47 PM   
TLB

In the future look at the scar to determine the type of procedure done if your not quite sure.

(in reply to Tom Reeves DPT ATC)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> bipolar hip precautions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search