Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Resume Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resume Advice - April 15, 2009 3:57:08 AM   
gshoops75

Hi all, as an upcoming August graduate, I'm starting to get my resume updated.  Hoping I can get some feedback here.  I've done several resume's before, but this will be my first PT resume.  My question regards whether or not (and if so, how) to include information about my pre-PT career.  I'm 33, so I've got plenty of it, and while I know hiring managers are most concerned with clinical skill, I think (ie, hope!) my extensive professional background should count for something.  I've got experience as a speed-agility-quickness trainer, high school teacher, sales manager, basketball coach, and sports official.  I've also been a member of the Rotary Club, serving as a board member and event organizing chairperson.  Also, while in school I've been a graduate assistant, student fundraising chairperson, class vice-president, and presented original research at my school's graduate research symposium. 
How much of that would would you include if it were your resume or how much of it would catch your eye if it came across your desk?  I guess I'm just trying to put some distance between myself and other new grads who have come straight from UG and/or have minimal professional work history.  Also, I've paid my own way and raised 2 kids (5 mo & 22 mo, gotta brag on 'em!) during school.  Does that have a place?  Sorry for the length, it's been almost 10 years since my last new-grad resume!  Thanks for your help/advice...

Grant S
Post #: 1
RE: Resume Advice - April 15, 2009 5:48:20 AM   
thebilljones

If you were coming to me I'd like to hear it all...especially as a new grad. Shows me much more of whats going on inside the individual. Course thats just an opinion...and depending upon where you'll be living you may have more competition. Don't really think paying your way or raising the kids would have a place but hey that is impressive!

Bill Jones, MS, PT, CSCS
Momentum Physical Therapy/Sports Enhancement
http://jonesercise.wordpress.com/
http://ilovehelen.wordpress.com/

(in reply to gshoops75)
Post #: 2
RE: Resume Advice - April 15, 2009 12:34:08 PM   
SJBird55

If you put "numbers" and specifics to exactly what you did.  I could care less about a list of locations/experiences unless there are details as to what you accomplished during those experiences.

Also, I'd suggest you be careful.  Personally, I'd question how committed you are to anything based on the laundry list of stuff you've done.  Granted, your resume is not in front of me, so I may be making huge assumptions.  It appears you are searching and searching and don't have long term commitment.  Will you have long term commitment to my company?  Will you leave as soon as you are dissatisfied? What makes you change your interest?  Do you easily get bored with life and move on to something else?  You should be prepared for questions like that... I'd be asking.  I'd even be concerned about the "grass is greener" kind of philosophy.  Would you bail at the slightest thing and go work for my competitor? 

Just a different spin of how your resume could also be viewed.

(in reply to thebilljones)
Post #: 3
RE: Resume Advice - April 15, 2009 4:53:47 PM   
gshoops75

Points taken.  In regard to SJBird, I hear you.  That's something I'm acutely aware of and am prepared to address.  In the 10 years I've been out of UG, my experience as a trainer was 4 years, and as a sales manger for 4 as well.  Do you think those time periods are too short?  Also, the sports coaching and officiating were concurrent with both of those and with grad school, thus amounting to 10 years of consistent experience in both areas.  I think I would answer your question of "changing interests" with the fact that it's actually the result of having "many interests".  And if I were interviewing with you, I would highlight the fact that due to these experiences, I not only have the experience of working with individuals in health related (though certainly not the same as PT) atmosphere, but that I also have the business acumen to understand and facilitate the finacial solvency and well-being of your clinic. 
I really appreciate you bringing up the questions you did, it's certainly something I'll be keeping in mind come interview time. 
Part of the reason I'm curious about all this is that a classmate of mine recently got a job offer that was appx 8K above what the company quoted  that they typically pay their new grads, due in large part to his previous experience and pre-PT life (he's 31). 
Thanks again for all your comments,

GS

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 4
RE: Resume Advice - November 5, 2013 2:31:19 AM   
Mike Wilson

Resume should be such that a person who reads it should be able to know about you at the first glance. If he is happy, then only he moves further. So keep in mind that you should be able to catch person's eye from the first sentence only. Further your resume should contain specifically what you have done and not what you haven't done. On the whole your should be specific and focus on the experience and skills which you have currently. So, be specific while drafting your resume.

(in reply to gshoops75)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Resume Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote