Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> PT vs OT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PT vs OT - September 4, 2008 2:18:20 PM   
ruralPT

How do you explain to people the difference between PT and OT?  This was an ad I saw for OT:

OTs prepare for National School Backpack Awareness Day

The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) is helping OTs across the country prepare for National School Backpack Awareness Day on Sept. 17.
More than 40 million American students carry backpacks, and studies have indicated that as many as 60% of students ages 9 to 20 have chronic back pain related to backpack use, according to information posted on the AOTA?s Web site.
The AOTA has offered the following tips OTs can share with students and their parents to help prevent backpack-related back pain:
? Never let a child carry more than 15% of his or her body weight
? Select a pack with well-padded shoulder straps
? Load heaviest items closest to the child?s back
? If a student is experiencing back pain or neck soreness, consult your physician or OT
For more information about National School Backpack Awareness Day, visit www.aota.org.

Now, not that back pack safety is what I want PT to be known for, but if you are experiencing back pain or neck soreness should you be consulting an OT????  I realize the professions have overlapped for quite a while, but I can't even see the line sometimes.  Is there something you would say is strictly an OT or strictly PT intervention?  If you work in a hospital without an OT on staff do you do ADL and equipment training?

Thoughts????

Tonya
Post #: 1
RE: PT vs OT - September 4, 2008 3:50:55 PM   
steve

Tonya,

Really? Backpacks? We want this as our defining area of expertise? Never seen one kid with a backpack related injury.

there is always going to be overlap between the two professions and it wasnt that long ago that universities were producing OT/PT graduates. I'm not too worried about OTs encroaching our turf, I think we compliment each other well as professions and likely will produce similar PR campains.

Steve

(in reply to ruralPT)
Post #: 2
RE: PT vs OT - September 4, 2008 4:01:10 PM   
ruralPT

Steve,
If you read my post, I say that backpacks is not what I want PT to be known for.  That is not really my point.  My point is that they say if you are having back or neck pain then consult an OT.  This is where my concern came from, it had really nothing to do with the backpacks.  I agree that PT/OT can compliment each other, but is it really the same profession?  Are there certain distinctions?  Do we both do the same thing?

Tonya

(in reply to steve)
Post #: 3
RE: PT vs OT - September 4, 2008 4:31:39 PM   
Shill

It is my observation that the training and curricula within the programs often does not include much for the spine for OT students.  If I am wrong on this, please correct me, as this is an old observation. 

(in reply to ruralPT)
Post #: 4
RE: PT vs OT - September 4, 2008 8:55:17 PM   
TLB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruralPT

How do you explain to people the difference between PT and OT?  This was an ad I saw for OT:

I always tell my patients that OT's teach macrame and play fun games with pt's while a Physical Therpist assists patients suffering from disease or injury to improve mobility, relieve pain, increase strength, and decrease or prevent deformity. We also assess, plan, organize, and participate in rehabilitative programs.

(in reply to ruralPT)
Post #: 5
RE: PT vs OT - September 7, 2008 3:53:16 AM   
ehanso

This has been an ongoing thorn in my backside for years. I think the principal is good. Teach kids the importance of posture and appropriate body mechanics. However, I think the APTA should be talking to the  AOTA to determine the scope of practice and expetise of the professions. OT probably jumped on this because there are a lot of OT's in school systems. I want to be a fly on the wall when a student or parent asks an OT to evaluate a students back and make recommendations for treatment. Can you say DDDUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!!!

(in reply to TLB)
Post #: 6
RE: PT vs OT - May 29, 2016 3:13:16 AM   
deepam

Here, role of OT is to prevent back pain and injuries. it's preventive measure can be taught be an OT/PT. Many OT working in the school setup and working for the kids and I don't find any intrusion in the role of PT by the OT. I think an OT and PT can work for a single client but the method, approach and goals should be vary. OT vs PT

Deepam Pawar
Occupational Therapist
OccupationalTherapyOT.com

(in reply to ehanso)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> PT vs OT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread