My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Injury with Major Complication

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Medical Complexity >> Injury with Major Complication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Injury with Major Complication - March 5, 2008 1:06:10 PM   
SJBird55

It's alway sad to see outcomes like this.  As I've been following along with this story, apparently there wasn't even a medical helicopter at this event!  If I've truly been understanding everything correctly, this extreme athlete may have had the complications he did secondary to lack of safety planning at the event... geesh.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V28GKbLN3pE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V28GKbLN3pE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hmmm... THAT didn't work.  Well, try here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28GKbLN3pE

< Message edited by SJBird55 -- March 5, 2008 1:10:29 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Injury with Major Complication - March 5, 2008 4:11:57 PM   
Dr.Wagner

Yeah...that is truly a bad injury.  Who knows the reason for the lack of air transport...perhaps an advisory...hell I don't know.  We have a helicopter on our roof and I'm at a relatively small hospital.

< Message edited by Dr.Wagner -- March 5, 2008 4:14:33 PM >

Dr. Wagner DO
Moderator of Medical Complexity Forum

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 2
RE: Injury with Major Complication - March 5, 2008 4:47:58 PM   
SJBird55

At an event like that with the speeds those athletes move and the potential for an unplanned, abrupt stop and roll - there is no excuse in my mind whatsoever for not having a medical helicopter present AND the medical staff to boot.  A tragic ending for a nasty injury that might have been preventable.  (I've also read somewhere that he also had equipment failure, so I'm not sure if there was a manufacture flaw or not.)  At an event of that competitive level, I would be willing to bet that every athlete assumed appropriate steps were being taken to ensure their safety in the event of unforeseen circumstances.  (Since I wasn't there, I can only assume that what I have read is true...) 

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 3
RE: Injury with Major Complication - March 5, 2008 6:55:10 PM   
jma

Wow! Poor guy. No excuse for not having a helicopter present. According to the Canadian press, his lower left leg had to be amputated because of complications.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hObY7rn7he3tVYQUm4daNovnhTPw

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 4
RE: Injury with Major Complication - March 5, 2008 11:10:58 PM   
Dr.Wagner

Often times if the weather is predicted to be bad, the helicopter goes to the garage at the base station.  Perhaps that is why.  Heck without being there, it is difficult to guess.
See that is why I don't ski.

Dr. Wagner DO
Moderator of Medical Complexity Forum

(in reply to jma)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Medical Complexity >> Injury with Major Complication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search