My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

LE mechanics for throwing and batting

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> LE mechanics for throwing and batting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LE mechanics for throwing and batting - February 29, 2008 4:27:20 PM   
buckeye

This is intended to be a look at general mechanics, not specific.

I recently had a high school high athlete with anteriomedial knee pain from a contusion. The orthopedic surgeon is allowing throwing but not batting. The athlete was told not to bat due to the rotational component of the activity.

Aren't the LE mechanics for throwing and batting similar? (Right LE for a right hand thrower and batter.)
Post #: 1
RE: LE mechanics for throwing and batting - February 29, 2008 6:44:05 PM   
Kaden

To keep it general, the right LE with throwing can be primarly limited WB as in throwing a football.  One may load the leg prior to delivery but it is the left leg that is the plant and the power leg.

Now, in hitting for a RUE player that knee should stay closed chain and the torque from the hips would seem to put more strain on the anterior right knee.

I would have to say I agree with the physicians take on this one.

(in reply to buckeye)
Post #: 2
RE: LE mechanics for throwing and batting - February 29, 2008 7:00:03 PM   
Shill

With batting, there is different and likely more torque at the knee, as well as a valgus stress moment, and if the contusion is anteromedial, this may yank enough on MCL and meniscus to cause irritation or at least pain. I would tell him to get good at bunting during this phase (squaring to bunt, not drag bunting), as the player can still get the visual training and timing of seeing pitches, without the knee stress.  Wearing a knee pad while doing this is not a bad plan, as taking a fastball of the medial tibial plateau probably wouldnt help much.  This comes from a former player who doesnt get to see baseball players much anymore......wah

Steve Hill PT

(in reply to Kaden)
Post #: 3
RE: LE mechanics for throwing and batting - February 29, 2008 9:06:14 PM   
buckeye

Thanks for the feedback.

I realize there are changes from throwing to batting with LE mechanics. I was just looking at the initial loading and prior to weight shift - the basic movements are similar. There is a large amount of rotational component in throwing prior to the weight shift, too.

I am having the athlete perform simulated swinging in the pool and have been working on balance and lower extremity reaching in various planes to gently stress the knee in a controlled manner.

The knee pad idea sounds good - also should help with diving after a ball or back to a base.

(in reply to Shill)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> LE mechanics for throwing and batting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search