My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

need to know if PT is for me

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> need to know if PT is for me Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
need to know if PT is for me - February 20, 2008 5:11:28 AM   
harney31

I'm a senior in high school and I'm struggling to declare a major.  PT has always appealed to me but i'm not sure if i can handle the academics.  I have done very well in high school but I want to know if I can handle graduate school and the other rigorous work involved. Im a 4.0 student and I scored a 27 on my ACT.  Thanks for your help, God Bless
Post #: 1
RE: need to know if PT is for me - February 20, 2008 1:28:33 PM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

Mmmmmh. I am not sure what kind of help you are looking for. I don't know you from a hole in the wall. Study for PT is hard but not exceptionally so - any worthwhile profession has its challenges on the way. Follow a PT for a day or more if you can set that up and try it in different PT environments: it will give you at least a flavor of what is going on.
Having said that, there is a HUGE variety of (excellent all the way to crappy) PTs out there, so I hope you pick a good one.....
IF PT feels like it suits you, the study work is actually quite fun. At least, that is what I found.

Mundi vult decipi

(in reply to harney31)
Post #: 2
RE: need to know if PT is for me - February 20, 2008 2:59:35 PM   
A20RepSquat

Don't worry (for now) about handling the rigors of graduate school when you have the rigors of undergrad looming before you.  Your undergrad science courses will tell you a lot about what you are capable of doing. Since your are currently a 4.0 student you should be fine as long as you maintain your discipline and enthusiasm for learning.

David Adames, SPTA

(in reply to harney31)
Post #: 3
RE: need to know if PT is for me - February 20, 2008 8:44:26 PM   
orthotherapist

Why do you have to declare a major now - take some classes that interest you, observe various professions in the medical field, research aspects of each job (job outlook, working conditions, hours, etc). 

WIth the brief snapshot of your academic requirements you should be able to do just about anything you want to do with you life.

Good luck

(in reply to A20RepSquat)
Post #: 4
RE: need to know if PT is for me - February 22, 2008 8:36:20 PM   
jma

I'm sure that you will do fine. Carry the same study/work ethic that you used in high to the collegiate level and you should do fine. Its not all academics, you need to experience it as well. Like the other post said, experience the field by observing/volunteering physical therapists working in the field.

(in reply to orthotherapist)
Post #: 5
RE: need to know if PT is for me - June 10, 2008 11:37:58 PM   
mcbot

Dedication and hard work and it can be done.  my brother in law pt, average student in highschool, was told as he was a pt Aide at a rehab unit while collecting observation hours- he'll never make it by pt's he worked with.  graduated NYU p.t.  Where there's a will there's a way!!!  P.s  He studied all the time.

(in reply to harney31)
Post #: 6
RE: need to know if PT is for me - June 30, 2008 10:54:20 PM   
Jordan Colby, SPT

Don't feel like you have to declare a major right away. There are many different majors that you can choose that will lead you to PT school if that is the right place for you. You may change your mind as a junior in college and realize that the major you are in is not stimulating at all. Pick a major that you enjoy and after finishing a few semesters see how you can incorporate the pre-requisites to PT school into electives.

(in reply to harney31)
Post #: 7
RE: need to know if PT is for me - July 4, 2008 1:21:05 PM   
Jordan Colby, SPT

Also, just to add to my previous post. Do not be intimidated by the academic rigor of PT programs. If PT is the right profession for you, the challenge of the coursework will be enjoyable. You have already demonstrated by your GPA that you are a committed student. If PT is what you want to do, you will have no problems. Trust me, I barely made a 3.0 in high school and didn't even take the SAT or ACT's. I went to junior college then decided on PT soon after transferring to university. I pulled my GPA up enough during my last two years of college to just squeak into PT school. I am now in my last year of PT school and am holding a 3.88 GPA.

(in reply to Jordan Colby, SPT)
Post #: 8
RE: need to know if PT is for me - July 4, 2008 3:39:22 PM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

Exactly, Jordan. I was a profound failure at studying in high school - 60's was partying, drinking and smoking, and school interfered with that - but when I found PT, studying actually became FUN. I am proud to say that I was the first summa cum laude graduate they had in four years; the ONLY thing I did with honours in my life! And all because it was ...fun.

Mundi vult decipi

(in reply to Jordan Colby, SPT)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> need to know if PT is for me Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search