Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Pediatrics >> sensory integration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sensory integration - January 29, 2008 6:39:44 PM   
DawnPT

I have a friend who was a nurse in the NICU.  She liked to incorporate sensory techniques therapists had taught her over the years.  She was disciplined for providing proprioceptive & vestibular input (she had the baby swaddled, was bouncing and patting the child on the bottom). 

I have searched and can't find specific research articles on the effectiveness of providing sensory input to NICU babies.  Does anyone know where I can find this?

Post #: 1
RE: sensory integration - April 25, 2008 2:29:36 AM   
SiobhanPT

I would check out Heidi Al's NIDCAP philosophy and protocols for observing and then treating pre-term infants. It is my understanding that in the NICU it is more important to preserve the womb-like state, rather than provide additional stimuli. Depends on the age and the level of stability of the child. The swaddling is often helpful, but I do not think that providing proprio or vestibular input is helpful across the board. These kids are super-fragile and anything that can cause significant changes in breathing and/or BP can do real harm! I'd encourage the RN to seek more info in this area or attend a course for handling of NICU babies. Toby Long, PT PhD offers a great 3 or 4-day course. Good luck.

(in reply to DawnPT)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Pediatrics >> sensory integration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote