My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 18, 2007 12:52:54 AM   
etram

I am not certain if I can address this inquiry here, but I will ask anyway. I want to take a physical therapy assistant program, that is accredited to federal board of PT, especially in kansas. Does anyone here knows if that is possible? Is there an age requirements to take this course? I am 47 years old and I want to change my career to PTA. Please give me any insights, thank you
Post #: 1
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 19, 2007 6:05:55 PM   
USAPT

Look at these sites and see if it answers your question.

http://www.ksbha.org/licensure.html

http://www.fsbpt.org/licensing/index.asp
  --scroll down to Kansas

Good luck
-Jason

PS, you won't get a good "PT/PTA" education online. This is a hands-on job that requires hands-on learning. Also, if you can take a "course" and have your education as a PTA, you wouldn't come near my pts. (not meant as a stab at you personally) 

(in reply to etram)
Post #: 2
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 19, 2007 6:34:37 PM   
SJBird55

Jason, I was thinking the same as you.  I don't have plans on ever utilizing a PTA.  I'm not impressed with the ones I have worked with (that was established on another thread somewhere on here).  Now... a PTA with an online degree???  I don't need some online trained individual that hasn't been near people in pain or seen reactions of people in pain or has no clue how to communicate orally to people in pain. 

What the heck is going on in this world??  Has common sense just gone out the window?  How is it that the focus on making a buck (by programs) and the "ease" of working while earning a degree (desired by students) rule? 

I have no idea who or what the federal board of PT is, but I would think that if a PT had to be licensed to practice in a state then the program would be accredited by the APTA.  It appears that Kansas has quite the lax state practice act when it comes to educational requirements - a bit vague in what educational programs would qualify to meet the educational requirements to take the licensure exam.  Hmmm... A hole in the law which opens the door to crap educational programs... How exactly is the public protected by having a licensed physical therapist assistant educated via an online program? 

(in reply to USAPT)
Post #: 3
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 19, 2007 7:04:48 PM   
orthotherapist

Are there really online PTA programs???

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 4
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 19, 2007 7:31:56 PM   
SJBird55

I found a hybrid one at:  http://www.whatcom.ctc.edu/content/AboutItem.phtml?art=318

What a joke...

(in reply to orthotherapist)
Post #: 5
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 20, 2007 2:18:06 AM   
jma

This is most disturbing to the field!

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 6
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 21, 2007 9:02:35 PM   
PHS

Im going to stir things up a bit...
But whats the big deal w an online PTA program??? PTA is not a PT and in terms of what theyre hired to do, who are we to say these folks will not be competent after school.?? READ PEOPLE! it is a hybrid program, no one said is 100% online. But on the other side we (PT's) do it everyday, have you all heard of Boston University?? which is a t-dpt 100% online!!! hah.

Scenario: PT graduates w a BS of PT, in the 80's worked acute hospital for 15 yrs, has a change of heart decides he/she is now going to be an ortho PT, a bit rusty you say? you betcha! so he/she decides to go back to school freshen up a bit, attends Regis University (one of the best online hybrid schools out there BTW) -t-DPT program. Should we NEVER dare to use this individual at an orthopedic practice b/c they never touched an ortho patient??.BOLOGNE!! w sauce please!
What ever happened to never judge a book by its cover?? How about instead of diminishing the role of PTA's like someone did, b/c of bad experience, interview these individuals, asses their overall experience, strenghts and weaknesses, and then make a decision. Where you attend school as a PTA is not as important as a where a PT goes to school. Can you all tell me what the U.S News PTA national community college ranking is for Kansas whatcom??.
Sadly enough there are a lot of PT's out there that I would never consider hiring b/c of how they practice. I call these the "flip it PT's all they know how to do is flip switches b/c they been trained to do modalities galore! and those are the ones we bring to our ortho clinics? Lets focus on things that matter, like EBP, vision 2020, direct access and such huh?

(in reply to jma)
Post #: 7
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 21, 2007 11:35:49 PM   
SJBird55

You can stir if you want... but the courses that PT's tend to take online are predominantly courses that can be learned because they involve a greater amount of cognitive ability versus manual skill.  You also have to realize that the PT's that are taking a t-DPT have years of experience and have worked with the public.  A PT that graduated with a BS in PT DID have the manual skill portion of the program... may be rusty, sure, but it is like riding a bike - the experience WAS there and will still be there to build from and fine tune.

You can also mention your "flip it" PT's but that doesn't address the issue of a PTA program that is predominantly online. 

Your argument falls on deaf ears for me.

(in reply to PHS)
Post #: 8
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 22, 2007 10:52:15 PM   
kiwi PT

SJ,
I also find this online program troubling. However what is equally troubling for us Michiganders is that the Michigan practice act makes no mention of the PTA and has no licensing for PTAs.  The practice act is so vague that it states something to the effect that certain tasks may be delegated to certain individuals who are qualified by education or experience to perform such tasks.  So in MI, except for certain payors like Medicare, anyone could be called or used as a PTA. This is scary.

Kyle

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 9
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - December 23, 2007 3:50:24 AM   
SJBird55

Yep, Kyle... maybe that is why I've never been impressed with the PTAs I've worked with?  Did you see the proposal for the change in our practice act?  The PTA will be licensed if it goes through.  Shoemaker wrote about it in Shorelines.

(in reply to kiwi PT)
Post #: 10
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - January 8, 2008 6:42:14 PM   
jag2020

I am a PTA that has 10years of experience under his belt working in the Twin cities(O/P ortho/sports injuries).  I don't believe an on-line course for this is a good idea.

I also can tell you I have worked with alot of PTs and PTAs what you learn in the books only takes you so far its your hands on experience that makes a great PT or PTA(I know a few PTAs I'd rather have treat me before any PT I know, but they aren't about to go back to PT school for that long)  I myself have really been thinking about going back to school too but not for PT(which my co-workers always think I should) maybe if the APTA wasn't such a Joke and represented PTAs well, and gave them an opportunity to advance in the field so we could benefit from the exprience and weed out the ones that don't belong we wouldn't have the PTAs and PTs coming out college like some of you complain about.  The PTAs that are good usually don't stay in the field too long because who wants to go back to school that long and get nothing for their experience.  Sorry for the rant but sometimes I don't think the PTAs are given a good rap and hate to see that because there are alot of good ones out there.

So I don't believe anyone should be taking a PTA course on-line.   

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 11
RE: Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas - January 13, 2008 3:53:28 PM   
blast7

It is worrisome to see that there is an online program for PTA's as an entry way to the profession.  While I don't agree that the t-DPT should be online at least it is not an entry level degree.  I think that if there are more programs online then you will see a large disparity in the knowledge base and clinical competency of practitioners. Take a look at the nursing profession.

(in reply to jag2020)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Online degree for PTA that is accredited in Kansas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search