My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Working will in PT school

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Working will in PT school Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Working will in PT school - December 6, 2007 7:44:34 PM   
Herbie

I have the option of working as a PT aide when I start school next fall.    So a few questions?  Does this constitute as work exeperience when I am done with school, and looking for positions?  Also for those that worked while in school, was it a challenge to work 20 hours/week, and still do school? 
Post #: 1
RE: Working will in PT school - December 6, 2007 8:10:29 PM   
orthotherapist

I worked 16-24 hours a week while in school (as a pharmacy tech).  Just be careful you do not get burned out by working therapy, studying therapy.  My job as a pharmacy tech was great in that it was relevant to medical field but was not exactly what i was studying.

As far as it being considered work experience, of course it is experience.  Will it allow you to start at a higher rate of pay - unlikely. 

I garduated in 1993 I am not sure of the feasibility of working while attending todays programs but I have to believe that if you have good time managment skills, study skills you should be able to. 

Good luck

(in reply to Herbie)
Post #: 2
RE: Working will in PT school - December 7, 2007 12:18:31 AM   
ehanso

Discuss the situation with your advisor at school. They will be able to help you decide if it is feasible and how much you can work without it affecting your grades and class participation.

(in reply to orthotherapist)
Post #: 3
RE: Working will in PT school - December 7, 2007 2:38:01 AM   
jma

Many in my class worked but only part time but only in the beginning. Later on, the classes became harder and they found it very hard to keep a job and study full time. On a few did so but it really drained them and it showed.

(in reply to ehanso)
Post #: 4
RE: Working will in PT school - December 10, 2007 12:58:13 AM   
PamPT

I worked while in PT school part-time.  I did not work in the beginning because it gave me a chance to decide if I will have time, how much study time I needed, and what kind of student I would be.  I was a returning student.  I too worked in the medical field, but not rehab, which was helpful and did'nt over load me with therapy.  I was a unit secretary in the ER, so I was able to work Friday/saturday 12hr shifts.  I was PRN, so I didn't have to work every weekend.  This gave me flexibility when I needed to study more.  In the beginning you really need to iron out your study time, habits, and class schedule.  You get to know the instructors and know yourself.  Are you the person that needs to read books and study, study, study or are you someone that can get clarity when it's first taught with minimal review?  Everyone is different and everyones needs are different and PT school is very different from undergraduate programs.  I suggest you take time to feel things out first.  Good Luck.

(in reply to jma)
Post #: 5
RE: Working will in PT school - December 10, 2007 3:20:59 AM   
Herbie

Well I am 29, and will be 30 when I start.  I have a masters in Exercise Physiology, and I work in research, that is comparing DC to rehab exercises for patients with LBP, and sciatic.  I feel that I have a great background and since I have been working in a field that is close to PT, I will be ready for PT school.  I have always worked will in college, all 6 years.

(in reply to PamPT)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Working will in PT school Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search