My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

7 monthes before starting PT school

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> 7 monthes before starting PT school Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 4:11:34 AM   
BigRed62

Well guys I havent posted in a long time, but I keep up with the forum regularly. I have recently been accepted into a Doctoral PT program and will begin in August of 2008. I have to complete 2 more prerequisites next semester, and I will have met all requirements. Is there anything you wish you would have done prior to PT school that you did not? I am very excited and just want to be as prepared as possible. What advice do you have?

Thanks
Doug
Post #: 1
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 4:43:09 AM   
jma

Academically, you need to take a nice breather once you are done with pre-requisites. If you have that summer off until August and you use a car to commute, finding a nice full time summer job to pay for the gas or just to have extra change around would be nice. Affils can be over a summer term and they are full time. If I had to do it again, I probably would have hit the gym a lot longer. Its not all brains that is working while you are in the program but you need the endurance to perform activities. Nothing feels worse that coming home fried and your body feels wasted as performing techniques. I would work on cardio just as much as weight training. It pays to be in shape for the program

(in reply to BigRed62)
Post #: 2
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 6:54:13 AM   
jlharris

BigRed,

Off topic, but are you going to go to UNMC?

Jason L. Harris, PT, DPT
My PT Blog

(in reply to jma)
Post #: 3
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 3:36:28 PM   
BigRed62

Thanks JMA. That all makes sense...

No jharris, I am not going to UNMC....

(in reply to jlharris)
Post #: 4
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 4:28:17 PM   
Herbie

I would like to here more comments to this question as well?  Much appreciated.

(in reply to BigRed62)
Post #: 5
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 4:34:37 PM   
orthotherapist

Relax, enjoy the Summer. You have taken the prereqs and have met the entrance requirements so that in itself says you are prepared for the program - enjoy your last Summer prior to school. 

Enter the school year refreshed rather than stressed.  Even once you are in school next year do not forget to take time for yourself/find a diversion that you enjoy as you can not eat, sleep, live, dream therapy 24 hours a day. 

(in reply to Herbie)
Post #: 6
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 5:54:14 PM   
A20RepSquat

I hope to be accepted for the Sep 08 or Jan 09.
These answers are not acceptable.  All this talk of relaxing is just crazy.

Can't you at least recommend memorization of muscles or innervations?
Or should I lay off the coffee?

David Adames, SPTA

(in reply to orthotherapist)
Post #: 7
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 7:06:58 PM   
Herbie

What program starts in Jan. 09'??

(in reply to A20RepSquat)
Post #: 8
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 7:11:05 PM   
orthotherapist

At least when I entered school (1989) you were not expected to enter with knowledge of innervations, etc.  That is why you were in school.  Times may have changed but you still need to relax and take time for yourself. 

Lay off the coffee and have a beer. 

Shill can attest to this but my diversion was Ms. Pacman.  It was located in our student lounge (located right next to the library).  My "reward" for studying a chapter was a game of Ms. Pacman.  This was fine my first semester when a game took a matter of minutes but by the last semester after hours of practice a game took 30-45 minutes.  Anyway my point being a diversion will help your mind focus when it is required to test taking will be easier, school more enjoyable, and knowledge will stick in your mind.

Good luck 

(in reply to A20RepSquat)
Post #: 9
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 7:32:12 PM   
A20RepSquat

U of St Augustine

David Adames, SPTA

(in reply to Herbie)
Post #: 10
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 6, 2007 7:34:23 PM   
A20RepSquat

Ok then, I will chill when the time comes.
Thanks!

David Adames, SPTA

(in reply to orthotherapist)
Post #: 11
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - December 8, 2007 1:03:08 AM   
gansettgirl

I am currently a 1st year PT student. We are taking 20 credits, it is 5 very long days a week and we are all feeling run down physically (and mentally) right now...understandably because we are about to have all of our finals and practical exams. Anyway, I would highly recommend getting into good physical shape prior to beginning PT school. Also, to be honest, getting a jump on memorizing muscle attachments, actions and innnervations is not such a bad idea! PT school, although worth it, is demanding as I'm sure you know. The toughest thing I have encountered is not having the time during the week (nights) to put in as much effort as I am used to for all 7 classes!! ( I also have a 3.0 hour commute) At least if you have a very good grasp on muscles, you will be in a position of strength. Best of luck, I'm going to get back to studying :)

(in reply to BigRed62)
Post #: 12
RE: 7 monthes before starting PT school - July 4, 2008 1:35:54 PM   
Jordan Colby, SPT

I am going to agree with what most of the other folks have said. With the first year of PT school approaching, it would be ridiculous to try and get a "jumpstart" on things. You are about to be flooded with information, but there is time and enough opportunity to take it in while you are in school. The only thing you will be wishing 14 or 15 weeks into the first semester is that you had spent more time being outside or working out or whatever it is you like to do. Any benefit you can get from reviewing anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, etc. is going to be marginal at best. Just enjoy the last weeks of freedom, you will not regret it. I am a third year student, so the rigors of the hectic first year are still in my mind.

(in reply to gansettgirl)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> 7 monthes before starting PT school Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search