Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> PT vs PTA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PT vs PTA - October 15, 2007 11:05:41 PM   
Sparky

Ok maybe this is a stupid question, but do PTAs do anything that PTs do not? I know there are things that only the PTs can do (initial evaluation, come up with the treatment plan, etc...), but what about the other way around? Does a PT spend less time executing a treatment plan than a PTA would, and more time doing other things? I am really interested in that one-on-one patient interaction (with the same patient over a period of time, not just doing an eval and then passing them off to someone else), just wondering if I can get that as a PT or if I should be focusing on PTA programs. This is all new to me (obviously!). My first shadow experience is coming up later this week...hopefully that will answer some of my (many) questions!

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Post #: 1
RE: PT vs PTA - October 15, 2007 11:15:44 PM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

In some settings the PTA does much more treatment.  I personally don't use a PTA much so I am the one doing all of the treatment.  It really depends where you work. 

(in reply to Sparky)
Post #: 2
RE: PT vs PTA - October 16, 2007 1:18:39 AM   
jlharris

I agree with Tom.  The company I work for (which is PT owned) does not use PTA's at all.  So, I provide everything - Exam, Eval, Treatment, Re-eval, etc.  Don't think I'd want it any other way.  Now, in general, if you worked in a hospital setting (or possibly other non-PT owned clinics) you'd likely find PT's mainly doing evals-reevals and PTA's providing the intervention.  Great thing is, we get to choose were we work.

Jason L. Harris, PT, DPT
My PT Blog

(in reply to Tom Reeves DPT ATC)
Post #: 3
RE: PT vs PTA - March 9, 2008 8:59:34 PM   
annpsu25

I agree with the other posters in saying that it depends on where you work/who you work for.  Some clinics are stictly PT, no PTA's.  Others have PTA's with most of the patient interaction.  It will also vary from state to state.

I'm from PA and from my experiences PT's mainly do evals/re-evals and DC. PTA's spend a lot of their time with the patient.  However, in PA PTA's cannot perform joint mobs and sharp debridement.

(in reply to Sparky)
Post #: 4
RE: PT vs PTA - March 9, 2008 9:50:54 PM   
jma

Agree with the above posts. We have all PT's down at the hospital where I work but in other places where I worked, the PTA did the interventions

(in reply to annpsu25)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> PT vs PTA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote