My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

tDPT facts, statements, deception-- APTA & State PT boards

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> tDPT facts, statements, deception-- APTA & State PT boards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
tDPT facts, statements, deception-- APTA & State PT boards - September 25, 2007 8:05:03 AM   
kevin4

I am a foreign trained PT who passed NPTE in 2005 [BTW: Before FSBPT lowered NPTE passing standards]. I am completing tDPT program in Dec' 2007 from one of the schools that also offers CAPTE approved DPT program. APTA and schools that offer tDPT program indicate that on completion of tDPT program a US lic. therapist in terms of academic qualification is equivalent to entry level DPT student. In the tDPT program I am attending, I will complete 22 credit hours.

Why then many state Physical therapy boards don't give damn to  tDPT education when a foreign trained US Lic. PT with very clean records seeks state lic. by endorsement like any US educated PT. I am sorry, but to me this sounds like academic aparthied. One state board said to me that they don't care about my tDPT education. To add insult to injury they want me to take TOFEL and get my credentials re-evaluated. One of the reason I spent nearly $10,000 and 1 1/2 year of tDPT was to get some respectability and flexibility in state lic. 

Yes !!  I have learned about APTA's vision 2020, evidenced based practice, how to get most out of peer reviewed journals thru tDPT education. Its deception if APTA is promoting tDPT  as a way  to become equivalent to entry level DPT student & yet state PT boards do not value that education.

My school's program director has promised to write to the state board, arguing that I, academically should be considered equivalent to an entry level US DPT student. But I am not sure how much impact that will have on the state board. At this time I refuse to go thru insulting licensing process suggested by the state board. 

I think this apathy for tDPT among state boards is  relevant to foreign graduates as well as US BS PT's who are currently doing tDPT. Do you know if APTA is doing anything to fix this situation. Did u go thru similar experience after completion of tDPT when u applied for lic. in another state ? Please share ur experiences.  

Regards
-K    
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> tDPT facts, statements, deception-- APTA & State PT boards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search