My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

DC/PT Clinic

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> DC/PT Clinic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DC/PT Clinic - September 4, 2007 6:22:08 AM   
cmccray

Hello everyone,

I have been attempting to gather information regarding a collaborated DC/PT clinic.  I've heard horror stories and I've heard success stories.  I need to crunch the numbers to see just how much more profitable our corporation could be, but from what my finance person is telling me, receivables could jump as much as 20% - which is a significant gain over the added payroll.

I am not a doctor.  My father and brother are the DCs.  I am the businessman.  A few of my most important roles as the CEO are to build and enforce policy, manage staffing, and produce the most end-of-year profit possible (as any business should).  I've been warned not to focus on "greed money" such as the lucritive potential of adding a PT to our clinic by more than one DC.  What they don't understand is the business ethic of a corporation's reason for existance to its shareholders.

I am wondering if there are any practicioners in the house who participate in, or know of someone who successfully manages, a DC/PT clinic.  I am not in the slightest interested in bringing an MD into the picture.  I want to keep it as natural, structural, and comprehensive as possible, but at the same time staying under the radar legally between referring in-house doctors.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris
Post #: 1
RE: DC/PT Clinic - November 3, 2007 5:18:38 PM   
BillW

I do not think this a good idea.  PT's and chiro's do not subscribe to the same medical belief system.  Also, many PT's do their own physical therapy based manipulation.  Having a chiro do that and a PT at the same time will cause problems, as will limiting the scope of eithers practice.

I respect the fact that you came here to see the PT's view point.  Ask yourself what the setup really is though.  In most cases, it is a means for chiros to make more money, not provide better care.  In these cases, the quality of care tends to be substandard.  I am not saying it is poor, just that it is not as good as what is done at PT only practices.  I would instead suggest meeting with community PT's to create a relationship in which one referrs to the other as the need occurs.  This will lead to better overall care.  I would warn you though that many PT's will be resistent to this.  As I said before, our medical model is different, so it can be tough to work together.  Also, chiro's have tried to limit legislatively what PT's are allowed to do, creating a lot of tension between the professions.

Due to the reasons above, you may have difficulty finding a GOOD PT to work in a chiro owned practice.  Most likely one that does will be motivated mainly by money.  PT's who agree with manipulation as a treatment tool (as I do) will generall already have taken advance PT courses to do PT manip themselves.  Those that do not, may not want to work with a chiro.

I have had success working with chiro's in the past.  I do not, however, like it when they treat me as if they were the "Dr", and I am the suboordinate.  Most PT's see themselves on the same level as chiro's, while chiro's see themselves as being on the same level as MD's.

You are looking to enter an area that has a lot of pitfalls.  Unless you want to do it just for the money, I would not venture into it.  You will be better off letting chiros do what they do best, and PT's do what they do best, and referr pt's to each other as needed.  The PT arena is a small world, and we all have a good idea of which clinics give good care, and which ar enot as good, or which are poor.   In general (I do not mean this with any melicious intent), the chiro owned PT clinics have the worst care.  I know of many in existence, and only a few give what I would consider a basic level of care, with one or two giving good care.  Most have entry level PT running their clinics, and some even have personal trainers and ATC's doing much of the care.

< Message edited by BillW -- November 3, 2007 5:28:08 PM >

(in reply to cmccray)
Post #: 2
RE: DC/PT Clinic - May 31, 2009 10:11:03 PM   
sugarman01

I'm presently a PT, but have my DC and PT license.  I have only practiced one at a time working for people, but would love to try and do both.  I think where it becomes tricky is insurance companies.  Though my states doesn't allow to bill both on same visit, I do know that some other states do. I'm kinda jealous, lol, I could do alot more if that was the case.

(in reply to cmccray)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> DC/PT Clinic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search