My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Scapula Setting

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Scapula Setting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scapula Setting - July 10, 2007 6:24:51 PM   
barrs1985

i always struggle to find the right words to explain in plain english how the patient can set their scapulas.
What do you find to be the best instructions that enable them to understand what is required?
Post #: 1
RE: Scapula Setting - July 11, 2007 8:14:31 PM   
buckeye

Can you explain a little more what you mean by setting the scapula and scapula sets?

(in reply to barrs1985)
Post #: 2
RE: Scapula Setting - July 12, 2007 11:19:26 AM   
barrs1985

Hello
When a patient is suffering with whinging scapula s and you try to set the scapula in the correct position again,

for example i use imagine your bringing your bottom of your right shoulder blade to opposite hip etc etc but at time s they still struggle to set it right.

(in reply to barrs1985)
Post #: 3
RE: Scapula Setting - July 12, 2007 11:33:28 AM   
SJBird55

Barrs, if I recall, don't you practice in a neuro setting?  What type of patient population are you questioning?

(in reply to barrs1985)
Post #: 4
RE: Scapula Setting - July 17, 2007 5:22:21 PM   
barrs1985

Hello,
Ya i was working with stroke patients a while back, this patient is actually from a private sports team that i am having trouble with, its a general problem for me either way,
basically this patient has rounded shoulders, bilateral instability in his shoulders with serious winging and poor eccentric control, the patient is starting his strengthening now but i had real trouble trying to get him to set his scapula s at first.

(in reply to SJBird55)
Post #: 5
RE: Scapula Setting - September 24, 2007 6:03:59 PM   
blast7

Why not use tactile cues or scapular PNF techniques.

(in reply to barrs1985)
Post #: 6
RE: Scapula Setting - October 28, 2007 5:04:42 AM   
gomez2

I start with supine, knees bent w/feet flat.  arms at 90 abd, elbows 90 hands towards ceiling and do isometric elbow press into the floor, then elbow flies, then arms straight out 90 deg from shld (cross) and press back of hands into floor isom, then hands clasped pullovers, then scap contractions. Then go kneeling doing the scap contractions with my fingers at the inf angle of the scapulas pushing up and lateral, have the client push infer and medial against my fingers, then do elbow flies and pullovers all of the above 30-50 reps/ 2-3x/day.

You can contact me for a more detailed sequence. Go to www.adapttraining.com for the philosophy

(in reply to blast7)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Sports & Fitness >> Scapula Setting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search