My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

The Power of Words

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> The Power of Words Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Power of Words - May 21, 2006 4:33:00 PM   
cnelligan

It was a day like any other except that an overheard conversation had ended a twenty year partnership, dissolved a rehab company and bitterly separated a father/son relationship in one afternoon. Sitting on the 50 yard line as a professional coach, I am honoured and privileged to often share in many realities that have been created by my clients' own words.

We must take responsibility for our words. We must constantly stop and examine the intent behind them before they leave our mouths.

With our patients we know what we say and how we say it is powerful to their healing process. Sharing treatment long and short term goals out loud with them is as you well know, a critical step in making recovery a reality in the co-creative process.

It's funny how everyone drives around with a cell phone or blue tooth attached to their ear and still can't find the words to communicate in a positive and effective way. Words can build up or words can destroy. But most people speak without intention; they simply say whatever comes to mind. Speak with intention, and your actions take on new purpose. Speak with power, and you act with power.

As leaders in the rehab industry, we must carefully craft the rally cry that represents our vision for the organization...create with words the saga that will get our clinic or organization to where it needs to be...words so powerful that others can reach out and touch the vision of what we want to become. Don Schmincke, in his book The Code of the Executive , writes, "If you create beliefs so real, so tangible that people can follow the vision, their behaviors will follow." He describes using stories that represent the true saga of the organization to get people to connect through their leader's words. We need drama as humans. Schmincke writes, "Followers follow the story that the leader creates."

I think of all the compelling stories in your therapy clinics and departments that may go untold. What if they were used as part of that saga to continually enhance the performance of your people, your organizations? Or share with your customers, your potenital customers, your hiring candidates?

What powerful story of your unique therapy culture could you share with our readers today?

(And in closing, consider the power of uttering, "I'm sorry" which sadly neither of the business partners could find the words to say.)

Carroll Nelligan, MHA, OTR
Professional Coach
Post #: 1
Re: The Power of Words - May 22, 2006 9:55:00 PM   
David Adamczyk

Hi Carroll,

Your lesson is an important one. I think that the thoughts and emotions of one's immediate situation always need to be filtered by the context of the big picture. If one loses this perspective when communicating, it can easily lead to misunderstanding and damaged business relationships.

Thanks.

Dave

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 2
Re: The Power of Words - May 22, 2006 11:14:00 PM   
cnelligan

Dave,
Yes, certainly true. To continue along this vein if I may, let me offer another point that I found profound of Schmincke's and reinforced through something I read today.

"Rid yourself of self and all is well." God Calling

When someone is facing death it changes them profoundly. Don Schmincke who is an anthropologist writes, "Leaders must keep in mind that someday they must die." What he means by this is the the ego must die. Think about flight 93 on 9/11/2001. The illegal use of a cell phone by a man who knew he was already "dead", changed the course of action of a cabin full of strangers. The other two flights acted differently.

People need to have a reason to act beyond their own egos. We need to have compelling reasons. Compelling sagas in place so that people have a bigger reason to act than just themselves. How very simple but not often accomplished for leaders in an industry such as our own.

Carroll Nelligan, MHA, OTR
Professional Coach

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 3
Re: The Power of Words - June 18, 2006 9:21:00 PM   
RehabEdge

Column Correction

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> The Power of Words Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search