My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Distracted

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Distracted Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distracted - April 9, 2006 9:00:00 PM   
cnelligan

Thanks for reading this evening. My six year old son is just beginning to open my eyes to the world of children?s schedules. How many travel teams can you play on? How many families are racing off to another practice after the end of this practice? How early can you get up before elementary school so that you can fit in another foreign language? Lots to focus on. Too much.

In the same light, I have worked with therapists who could in their own right be labeled the perfect overscheduled underachiever. One of my clients, Kathy, had a goal of starting her own home therapy company and leaving the position she was currently held. Although she voiced that this was a life dream she was totally committed to, when we met for her coaching sessions she usually had an excuse for why she hadn?t stuck to her timelines. Interesting how universal the responses "I don?t have time for that ? I ran out of time? I wanted to but didn?t quite fit it in?" are.

In Kathy?s case it was not stalling. She was truly overextended, overscheduled and over stimulated. She and her husband were building a new house, she was working full time and being a mom to three children. Her answers were in fact true. It seemed there was always drama, always chaos, always something occurring that kept her from moving forward on any of her personal and professional goals.

Without a true vision of your desired future, you allow the circumstances around you to create it for you instead of you creating it yourself.

If Kathy was to achieve her dream of a home therapy company nothing was going to change unless she revisited her priorities. The thing is...no one is ever going to do it for you. You have to claim your power. You must have the willingness to take full responsibility for everything that happens. Certainly if it is something that takes you a step closer to your dream, your goal, your attainment of coming closer to the you that you want to be- you should decide who or what gets your energy. You must choose this intentionally and wisely.

In Kathy?s situation there was truly not enough time in the week to handle her current responsibilities much less move on to a serious effort to start up a new business. You have to be committed to an idea so that you can focus solely on it. You can?t do everything. Could she cut back from another area, in this scenario her work life? Could she hire out some of the household responsibilities? Could her spouse pick up some of the building decisions?

If you are truly committed to a dream, and if IT is not about your dream you probably shouldn?t be doing IT. Or in Kathy?s case, decide if IT really is your dream before you attempt to set out in one more new direction.

What do you really, really, really want?

What is holding you back from getting it?

Are you holding onto things or commitments that are sabotaging your purpose?

As always, thanks for sharing with all of us your experiences and thoughts.

Carroll Nelligan, MHA, OTR
Professional Coach
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Distracted Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search