My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Champion or Chump?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Champion or Chump? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Champion or Chump? - March 20, 2006 4:39:00 PM   
cnelligan

Congratulations to the RehabEdge body on 6992!

Thanks for reading this afternoon.

Leaders at all levels have to be socially skilled. I have touched on emotional intelligence in several of my forums, but let's revisit it. Daniel Goleman ( Emotional Intelligence, Primal Leadership )has studied this topic for years and consults to organizations worldwide on how to develop this quality. Emotional intelligence is no passing fad. Goleman describes it this way, "Emotional Intelligence -the ability to manage ourselves and our relationships effectively- consists of four fundamental capabilities: self awareness, self-management, social awareness and social skills. Self awareness and self management may be the most critical across the research and absolutley essential to authentic leadership.

"Interpersonal ineptitude in leaders lowers everyone's performance...wastes time, creates acrimony, corrodes motivation and commitment, builds hostility and apathy..."

Let's take this concept back to your worlds for a moment. Think back to your first job or maybe even your first clinical. For many of us that was a critical experience in filling the bucket of our self esteem related to work, our confidence, our affirmation that we had entered the right field. To gain high quality, high creativity and high commitment, therapists like any other worker, must believe that what they do is important. Not only does the treatment or task need to be perceived as valuable but we need our own sense of importance to be highlighted. Therapists are best engaged when there is an emotional connection...with the work (their patients, their co-workers) and to the organization (the company's, the hospital's, the clinic's success).

I like to use this activity when coaching those new to a leadership role in therapy. Take a moment to do this exercise.

As you think about past work experiences, think about specific actions your supervisor/leader took to contribute to your sense of importance or to take it away.

"I wasn't told directly that I hadn't been chosen for the Clinical Chamption of the program. I heard it through the others in the clinic."

"My review is always 2-3 months late."

"He spent the time co-treating with me so that I felt more comfortable with these types of patients."

"My supervisor implemented the suggestions I made on the documentation forms and credited me in the newsletter."

When did a leader in your past make you feel like a "champion" or a "chump?"

How did they impact your performance at that job, your creativity, learning or your longevity?

What story would you like to share about a great supervisor that impacted you significantly in your practice as a therapist?

Thanks for checking in and thank you for sharing with others reading this forum. Someone out there may need to hear what you have to say today.

"Learn, earn, return-these are the three phases of life." Jack Balousek

Carroll Nelligan, MHA, OTR
Professional Coach
Post #: 1
Re: Champion or Chump? - March 20, 2006 10:03:00 PM   
jma

My last employer took my sense of importance away because he cared more about the number of patients that the patients themselves that I treated.

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 2
Re: Champion or Chump? - March 21, 2006 7:34:00 AM   
SJBird55

I just received some mail from some attorneys that I consult for... anyways, there was an interesting blurb dealing with human resources within it.

To actually be a good leader, leaders also need to know their audiences. Interestingly, this was also discussed at one of the APTA conferences...

To be a good leader, a good leader needs to meet the needs of those involved. Matures (over 60 years of age) do not expect feedback. Matures are extremely loyal to institutions (employers). Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) do not appreciate feedback. They are supposedly less loyal to matures but want to invest in their workplace. Generation X (1965-1980) actively seek feedback and are loyal to individuals, not institutions. Generation Y (born beginning 1981) desire immediate feedback and are loyal to individuals, not institutions.

Whenever I read anything like that it is irritating because broad assumptions are being made. But... it might be good to keep in mind because if you can meet the needs of the individuals involved, it probably improves retention.

My last employer seemed to have a hierarchy where management views were THE view. The only way to change things for the better was not for me as an employee to suggest anything. The only way change ever occurred was through a patient complaining to service excellence OR me strongly advising patients to write their concern on a satisfaction survey. It never mattered how often an employee suggested or reported issues that needed to be resolved, the main way change occurred was through patients. Feedback wasn't even feedback - annual performance evals were based on who knows what because supervisors didn't audit charts, supervisors were not at my location and supervisors had no idea what occurred in day-to-day operations. Sadly enough, feedback was based on hearsay.

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 3
Re: Champion or Chump? - March 22, 2006 11:03:00 AM   
cnelligan

jma,

How have you taken that experience and applied it in the leading you do now with other therapists? Therapy being a business must have efficiencies and profit margins but how do you allow your team to feel that they are doing meaningful work and they are valued?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Professional Coach

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 4
Re: Champion or Chump? - March 22, 2006 7:11:00 PM   
jma

We are more of a team now and business is just business, which administration takes care of now. Our patients are the one who have a say in how they feel about us. They write letters to the administration and this lead to recognition to all members of the team involved in patient care, which gets put into our folders. This alone is valued dearly by all the staff here.

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 5
Re: Champion or Chump? - March 22, 2006 9:31:00 PM   
cnelligan

As it should be. The most meaningful measurement is how your patients view the meaningful work you do.

It is interesting that many of the studies done on employee motivation have employee and manager on very different ends of the spectrum. For instance, when asked to rank ten items, associates rank number 1, "full appreciation of work done" (i.e in both of your responses appreciation from your patients, not your leaders?), while managers rank this #8. Managers rank "good wages" #1, while associates rank this at #8. Emotional intelligence appears to decline as one moves up the corporate ladder.

I don't believe it has to be this way.

It takes an authentic leader to stay connected to what engages their teams and allowing them to fully see how they are contributing to organization's success. There are great organizations out there that do this. Why not more?

Professional Coach

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Champion or Chump? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search