My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Attracting vs. Hiring

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Attracting vs. Hiring Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attracting vs. Hiring - August 20, 2005 6:16:00 PM   
cnelligan

Hello again. Thanks for checking in with my Forum and thanks to those who has posted questions, comments and even some appreciation!

"I won't be of help to you unless I solve your problem in a better way." Does this sound like a hiring philosophy?

When you look at our industry right now, it appears that in many areas the supply and demand has shifted back to the therapist; The therapist who is looking for employment has more options. Today I would like to look at things from the perspective of the owner, director, manager or senior therapist that has anxiety over perhaps one or multiple open positions in their world. Are you currently struggling with this situation? The more you struggle the more silent the responses (from the right people!) seem to be?

Much of what I am writing about today is based on the teaching and writing of Bill Caskey. He contends and I have experienced that how you view the marketplace, in our case, the pool of talented therapists with the right fit for your organization, is one of the keys to your success. Having an "Abundance Mentality" versus a "Scarcity" frame of reference will predict what you attract. When you believe that you will find that perfect person, (or even many to choose from)the laws of attraction will begin to take hold. Too out there for you? Hundreds of successful businesses using Caskey's philosophy and the Law of Attraction don't think so.

The second point I would like to consider is operating your selection and hiring process from a high intent. Let this be your intent: "My intent in my interactions with you as a candidate is that this job must be the right job for YOU. My open position may or may not be a solution to your problem. I want you to be discerning, as will I."

Most people involved on both sides of an interview setting volley back and forth without really any meaningful sharing. How then can you get a glimpse into the candidate's real problems, pain or desires?

"Why are you looking?"
"Why are you looking at us?"
"What do you really want in your career?"
"What is missing in your current situation?"

When you truly listen to responses to these types of questions you can't help but hear the feeling behind the words. You will be able to connect emotionally with your candidates. You will be able to connect with them as people.

"I don't feel like I am part of a team. Things have really changed at my clinic."
"My supervisor continually passes me over for chances to grow."
"I'm looking because I feel that all I can focus on is getting x number of people seen today."

Listen to the emotion behind the words and acknowledge it. After acknowledging then explore their pain to relate how your organization, clinic or team might address their problem. Maybe it will be a fit maybe not. The candidate may not be the qualified individual you want on your team. But... if they are you now understand YOUR value in relation to them as a person. What THEY take away is a true connection.

"This clinic owner really cared about what I was looking for."

The adage, "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care," is true. We must recognize that humans share a universal longing TO BE KNOWN.

Think about this attraction vs. hiring philosphy when you begin your next open position journey. This post is meant to be a starting point in this way of thinking.

As always, I look forward to your questions or comments. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.

Carroll Nelligan, MHA, OTR
Professional Coach
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Attracting vs. Hiring Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search