My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Safe Return Doubtful

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Safe Return Doubtful Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Safe Return Doubtful - August 5, 2005 11:04:00 PM   
cnelligan

I hope everyone is relaxing after the week. Thanks to those who posted on the last topic. I had a week of several "aha" moments. I wanted to share something I have found powerful and I believe has been powerful for those I have had the privilege of training and coaching this week.

I will credit business consultant Bill Brewer (who by the way said to me "if you use it three times, it's yours") with sharing this story. Sir Ernest Shackleton in posting his ad for positions for his Antarctic expedition promised: Low pay, poor climate and safe return doubtful. He believed it would be a privilege to be part of his adventure. On to something?

Accountability seems to be the buzz word in organizations right now. How will the leader hold people ACCOUNTABLE. How can I hold my team ACCOUNTABLE? The bottom line may be that you can't. Give it up and try a shift in perspective.

Let's consider accountability to training or important conversations of any type in your setting. Try this exercise the next time you need to teach, train or share important information. Have your team/audience/group answer the following four questions before you engage them. Have them rank their answers on a 1-7 scale, one being the lowest.

*How valuable do you plan this hour to be?
*How participative do you plan to be?
*How much risk do you plan to take?
*How concerned for the whole do you plan to be? (i.e. the experience of those around you)
After everyone answers these on their own, then have them turn to two others around them and share their answers. No one is to try to persuade anyone from changing their responses, there is no right or wrong here. Finally each group shares with the whole.

Since I have used these questions, each time I have experienced a shift in the energy of the room. The beauty in these questions is that no matter how one answers...they are hooked. They have entered the room alone and now have connected to the whole. These are conversations that matter to the true essence of accountability.

Accountability, in this case for learning, learning what is important to the organization, team, meeting ...whatever is that it is up to the individual to make this experience relevent. Come by choice. The seat of learning is a privilege and should not be occupied by those who do not value it.

Give this a try. Let me know what you experience. I would love to hear from you.

Carroll Nelligan, MHA, OTR
Professional Coach
Post #: 1
Re: Safe Return Doubtful - August 11, 2005 9:50:00 PM   
bonmar

Carroll,

Great work! I have enjoyed your posts to date and look forward to more. So far, the posts have helped bring some clarity to a situation that I am experiencing right now in work. Thanks again, Bonnie

(in reply to cnelligan)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Therapist's Coach >> Safe Return Doubtful Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search