My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Coding/Billing Courses

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> Coding/Billing Courses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coding/Billing Courses - November 28, 2005 10:44:00 PM   
mgcali

Just wondering if anyone has taken a course taught by Julia Olson through Cross Country Education?

Is it a good idea to take a course like this? Necessary?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - November 29, 2005 6:20:00 AM   
SJBird55

I don't know about her, but anything you attend with Helene Fearon (not sure if that is the exact spelling) and Jim Nuggent is always good and very up to date. Helene is more in tune with the coding issues and Jim is more in tune with federal changes coming our way in regard to a variety of reimbursement issues.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 2
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - November 30, 2005 8:03:00 AM   
gerry

I agree with SJ that Helene Fearon is agood resource in this area. She typically presents at APTA sponsored courses, and does a good job of making it directly applicable to PT. The course I attended had PTs and folks from billing offices.

Is it necessary? Maybe not if you are successfull in getting reimbursed allready. But it was also good about letting you know what is ethical and legal in billing. That could be helpul to keep offices from committing improper billing, and keep you away from lawsuits, etc.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 3
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - November 30, 2005 8:05:00 AM   
paulpt

I will also offer props up to Steve Levine (?sp).

His course is very good, and he is a talented speaker.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 4
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - December 3, 2005 10:57:00 PM   
mgcali

I apologize for being late in thanking all of you. I appreciate the feedback.

One more thing, as far as Medicare patients are concerned....I understand they are to receive one-on-one treatment by the PT alone. How many of you practice that?

I have a PT friend in Reno and they do abide by those guidelines in their clinics.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 5
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - December 4, 2005 7:20:00 AM   
SJBird55

mgcali, Medicare patients do not have to have one-on-one treatment only. The level of supervision defined by the CPT code being used is what determines whether the patient is alone or not. The key, when it comes to billing out for services, is that the appropriate professional with the required level of supervision provided the treatment as defined by the CPT code(s) and written documentation reflects the service(s) billed. There is a CPT code for a group situation.

The recent PT Magazine had a nice educational article on CPT codes.

Helene Fearon and Steve Levine have teamed up and are doing a Reimbursement and Coding seminar. The closest location to you is Seattle, Washington in March. If you aren't an APTA member, you might want to consider that course, joining to save on the course AND have access to the APTA website members only section where reimbursement issues are discussed. Also, if you join, join quickly because if you are interested the CSM is in San Diego in February. The Health Policy and Administration section always has sessions dealing with reimbursement - this year on Thursday they do have something dealing with fraud and abuse and then on Friday a Reimbursement update. I didn't look to see who was doing those sessions, but if Helene Fearon is there, she is very helpful and does offer advice for individual situations if you go up and talk to her.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 6
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - December 4, 2005 7:15:00 PM   
mgcali

SJ ~

Thanks for the reply and clarification re: Medicare treatment.

I also think your suggestions are good and probably a good place for me to start. I wrote down their names in my "info gathering notebook" for future reference.

To be honest, I had let my APTA membership lapse, but I think it's time to reinstate it especially since I'm getting more serious about having my own clinic.

BTW, last I wrote to you, things were still a bit slow going. Have things picked up in the way of referrals? I certainly hope so.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 7
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - December 6, 2005 5:47:00 PM   
SJBird55

Thanks, mg. Things are actually going okay. It's actually kind of cool seeing the business slowly grow. It's actually kind of funny, in a way, because the people in the community that have been coming have basically been the ones telling their physicians they'll only come to me. I almost thoroughly love being on my own (I don't understand accounting very well and I have a slight handle on the reimbursement stuff), but the clinical aspect is perfect for me. As of this week I am just above my break even point - it was my goal to be at the break even point by Christmas and Merry Christmas to me! If you're going to break out on your own, I'd highly recommend joining the APTA. In my opinion, to compete with other companies, to be the best it's probably a good idea to not only stay abreast of all the health policy regulations and reimbursement/coding issues, but also to continually alter clinical practice to stay current with the ever changing evidence.

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 8
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - December 7, 2005 8:23:00 AM   
mgcali

That's great SJ! Indeed a Merry Christmas to you.

I will heed your advice - it only makes sense.

As far as the aspects you don't understand, I think I've come to the conclusion that it might be better for me to stick to what I know I'm good at and get help with the other stuff. That way, I won't get too overwhelmed not allowing me to enjoy what I do best.

Do you outsource at all?

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 9
Re: Coding/Billing Courses - December 7, 2005 3:04:00 PM   
SJBird55

LOL All my billing is outsourced... I don't want that headache. We have an accountant - and my husband helps me with all that accounting record keeping crap. I can't keep track of what the heck a debit or a credit is (supposedly the opposite of what I'd think). LOL That's my next year Merry Christmas to myself - that I "get" accounting. LOL

(in reply to mgcali)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Private Practice / Business Development >> Coding/Billing Courses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search