My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Shoulder pain after flu shot

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> Shoulder pain after flu shot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shoulder pain after flu shot - March 30, 2007 4:55:00 PM   
Hitomi

Has anyone had patients complain of shoulder pain starting after having a flu shot? We've seen two in the clinic s/p shot >one month. Is there any merrit to this?
Post #: 1
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - March 30, 2007 8:48:00 PM   
jma

This is unusual. Many I knew that got the shot were sore for a few days and then things were okay. Perhaps this should be posted in the medically complex area and see if it can be explained.

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 2
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - April 2, 2007 8:50:00 AM   
ehanso

I have seen 2 patients with a sub arachnoid bursitis secondary to flu shots that were too high in the shoulder. (ya think). Ask the patient where the shots were given. I treated them like an early frozen shoulder. Passive G-H mobs, AAROM, etc. and both did well.

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 3
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - April 2, 2007 9:04:00 AM   
gerry

I have a co-worker who actually was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder after a flue shot. She had pain immediatly after the shot that did not go away and then range of motion began to decrease, etc. Interesting.

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 4
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - April 2, 2007 12:42:00 PM   
Shill

I can tell you that I had a flu shot incorrectly administered once. It was into the bone, not the muscle, and it did not feel very good. I felt the needle actually "thunk" when it hit the bone. I proceeded to get a warm reddened area along the entire lateral humerus, to the elbow, felt rather ill, so I went back to show them their mistake. What I got was...."Oh, thats normal....but come back in a few days". When I did return, a few days later, things had cleared, BUT, the same woman who told me it was normal said.."Oh, you are that guy with the weird reaction"

This gave me the idea that I shouldnt have the flu shot, but when discussing this with my MD, I was told technique can make a huge difference in the reaction one gets, and I havent reacted at all over the last 4-5 years. Long story short, advise your patients to watch technique while standing in line, and only go to the injectioners (?) who seem to be doing it right.

and finally
Vaccine. 2007 Jan 8;25(4):585-7. Epub 2006 Sep 8.
Vaccination-related shoulder dysfunction.Bodor M, Montalvo E.
Queen of the Valley Hospital, Napa, CA 94558, USA. mbodor@post.harvard.edu

We present two cases of shoulder pain and weakness following influenza and pneumococcal vaccine injections provided high into the deltoid muscle. Based on ultrasound measurements, we hypothesize that vaccine injected into the subdeltoid bursa caused a periarticular inflammatory response, subacromial bursitis, bicipital tendonitis and adhesive capsulitis. Resolution of symptoms followed corticosteroid injections to the subacromial space, bicipital tendon sheath and glenohumeral joint, followed by physical therapy. We conclude that the upper third of the deltoid muscle should not be used for vaccine injections, and the diagnosis of vaccination-related shoulder dysfunction should be considered in patients presenting with shoulder pain following a vaccination.

Steve Hill PT

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 5
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - April 2, 2007 7:22:00 PM   
ginger

I was on the list for a flu shot yesterday and pulled out after I read this thread, call me a wimp , but my nervousness with medical interventions generally ,just went up a notch.

Geoff Fisher
Physiotherapist
South Melbourne

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 6
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - April 2, 2007 10:06:00 PM   
jma

Thanks for the article Shill. Will definitely look into it.

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 7
Re: Shoulder pain after flu shot - April 3, 2007 9:39:00 AM   
gerry

OK, so when going for a flu shot, draw a line across the upper third of the deltoid and ask for the shot below the line?

Reminds me of a visit to the doctor once when I got a steroid shot in the rear. There was a student nurse with the primary nurse. I was asked to pull down my pants and lean over the exam table. The primary nurse then began to draw imaginary lines on my rear explaining to the student that they seperate the bottom into 4 quadrants, and which quadrant the shot goes into...etc. At least the primary nurse was the one who administered the shot.

(in reply to Hitomi)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> Shoulder pain after flu shot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search