My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Balance Scale for IP PT

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> Balance Scale for IP PT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Balance Scale for IP PT - February 15, 2006 2:37:00 PM   
1AggieUteSPT

For those who are working or have ever worked in an inpatient setting, we have probably all seen various scales for rating a patient's balance: sitting, standing, and dynamic. I am currently at a facility that only uses three grades for said balance: good, fair, and poor. There aren't any uses of + or - with these patients. As we all know, there have to be more areas for these patients to fit into, especially in the IP setting where you have to set a balance goal for the patient if they have an impairment in that area. And it is virtually impossible to have most patients make a huge jump from a Poor to a Fair or Fair to Good in the 2-3 days they are in our facility. We are currently trying to modify our scale to incorporate these "gray" areas to show improvement in our patients. Here's my question...
Does anybody have a most honorable and excellent balance scale that they use in their facility that I could look at so that I could modify ours into a more useful tool? Any help would be appreciated...
Post #: 1
Re: Balance Scale for IP PT - February 15, 2006 6:57:00 PM   
jma

Try the Tinneti balance scale.

(in reply to 1AggieUteSPT)
Post #: 2
Re: Balance Scale for IP PT - February 15, 2006 8:23:00 PM   
Jeffre

Aggie,

I don't think that balance should be a major goal for acute, especially if you know the pt will only be there for 2-4 days. Balance is complicated and 15-25 min bid treatments will not affect it significantly. My acute goals are always more functional: rolling, supine<>sit, sit<>stand, SPT and ambulation with the levels of assistance graded. These are the everyday things that these pts will need to be able to do whether they go home, SNF, LTAC or rehab. It is at the next level of care that ,if still needed, specific balance training should be worked on. Using poor, fair, good is more of a courtesy to other therapists that may see the pt after your evaluation or if there is a sudden decline in status (extended CVA or TIA vs CVA)

"You are as well as your insurance company is willing to allow."
- Dr. Hibbert

Post #: 3
Re: Balance Scale for IP PT - February 16, 2006 5:13:00 AM   
Andrew M. Ball PT PhD

The Berg Balance Assessment, short form, was just recently found to be psychometrically similar to the long form. It's 7 items, instead of 14, and very quick and easy to administer. If you'd like to e-mail me personally, I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy of the form. (DrDrewpt@msn.com).

Drew

Andrew M. Ball, PT, DPT, Ph.D.
Orthopedic Physical Therapy Resident
Carolinas Rehabilitation

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> Balance Scale for IP PT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search