Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> Stem Machine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 9:05:00 AM   
wfweirich

I am an officer with an All Sports booster club for a small 3A school in Texas. We are being asked to approve the purchase of a "stem machine" to allow our trainer a more proactive role in injured player's rehab progress. I know nothing about such a device. Can anyone shed some light on what the machine does, and is it a good idea to have a tool like this in a high school training room? Thanks in advance for your time.

wfw
Post #: 1
Re: Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 12:18:00 PM   
physiosteve

wfw,
Do you perhaps mean "stim machine"? That would be a muscle stimulator. Uses an electrical current to activate skeletal muscle.

Steve.

(in reply to wfweirich)
Post #: 2
Re: Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 12:36:00 PM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

I would suggest that whomever is asking for that investment by the school/team, should be able to bring some references (randomised controlled studies) to show that they do better than not having one.... If there are no references or studies, you would invest your money strictly based on your trust in the opinion of another.

Mundi vult decipi

(in reply to wfweirich)
Post #: 3
Re: Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 1:07:00 PM   
paulpt

This person should have put together a proposal and list the nebefits of this purchase and note the potential risk and liability issues. Not sure who would be on the hook in a civil matter if this machine caused any harm - but that should be addressed in the proposal.

A 'stim machine' is a common rehab tool, and may well be useful in this setting you refer to. However, all legal and liability issues should be discussed first. Then, the type and cost would have to be discussed - as well as potential benefits. "Stim" is like 'soda' in that there are many types available.

Then, somebody can take the initiative to get some quotes and shop wisely.

(in reply to wfweirich)
Post #: 4
Re: Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 2:18:00 PM   
wfweirich

I do mean a "stim machine", thanks for the correction. There was no propasal, just a recommendation from the head coach/athletic director and the head trainer. The item has already been selected, and, we can get $500 off if we act fast, that is why the rush. It all makes me a bit nervous. wfw

(in reply to wfweirich)
Post #: 5
Re: Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 2:24:00 PM   
OaksPT

Never buy anything where price is contingent on how fast you lay the moola down, there are plenty of companiesyou can negotiate with later. Is your trainer certified? In a high school setting, I would not allow treatment of the athletes without intervention of a PT/MD. Otherwise you are opening yourself up for liability issues.
Scott

Scott Oaks PT,DPT

(in reply to wfweirich)
Post #: 6
Re: Stem Machine - October 26, 2005 3:12:00 PM   
ehanso

I agree with OaksPT. Companies will negotiate prices for all equipment. Objective data gathered by a party other than the manufacturer should be available for review. I get a bit nervous when high school athletes need aggressive intervention to continue playing with injuries. A good share of my clientelle who played high school sports and were allowed to continue playing with injuries are seeing me in later life. Make sure the trainer is ceritified and has additional training in therapeutic modalities such as E Stim.

(in reply to wfweirich)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Open Forum >> Stem Machine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote