My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Hip Fracture Bed Postioning and Transfer

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> Hip Fracture Bed Postioning and Transfer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hip Fracture Bed Postioning and Transfer - July 2, 2004 8:03:00 PM   
uomoscuro

Hi all,

If you had a 62 y.o. hip fx pt.(2 days out from surgery) how would you position him in bed(sidelying, 1/4 turn, etc)? Which side of his body would you trf him on for supine<->sit trf? Are there any precautions about his hip I should be aware of in moving him in bed(no hip add,etc?

Thanks for your response. :)

Michael
Post #: 1
Re: Hip Fracture Bed Postioning and Transfer - July 4, 2004 1:25:00 AM   
Geert Jeuring

Hello Michael, it depends on the surgery, the fracture and the allowed weightbearing. Many surgeons don´t allow Adduction because the strain on previous detached muscles. The same for rotation. Standing on the operated side you are able to support the leg with one arm whilst supporting the patients back with the other. The patients hand on the non-injured side takes hold of your shoulder. So you will be able to make transfer from lying to sitting. Important here is using gravity to gain momentum.

Geert

(in reply to uomoscuro)
Post #: 2
Re: Hip Fracture Bed Postioning and Transfer - July 7, 2004 9:33:00 PM   
kristina_hutchison

I have worked with the ortho patients at Genysis and there are a few different ways that you can TF the pt. As for bed positioning I would have them supine with a pillow under the hip that has the frx. However you need to move the pt every few hours to avoid bed sores so I would just log roll them onto their non-surgical side. As for TF from the bed to the chair and back I would lead with the side with the frx that way you can gaurd their leg with your leg and have them use their good leg to push off with. You will want to avoid flexion above 90 degrees, add, external rotation. All of these can put pressure onto the frx and can cause pain or even another frx. If the patient in non WB or WBAT you will need an assistive device to help move the patient.

Hope it works well for you.

Thanks for taking the time!

(in reply to uomoscuro)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Orthopedics >> Hip Fracture Bed Postioning and Transfer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search