My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Medical Complexity >> Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke - May 4, 2006 8:47:00 AM   
Ahlecs76

Got a patient who suffered an embolic stroke due to valve defects from RHD. Just would like to find out if it would be safe for me to put him on arm and leg ergo without the risk of dislodging an embolus and causing another stroke. Patient also is on warfarin due to thrombus formation. If you had a similar experience with a patient like this I would just like to find out how did you deal with the situation. Much thanks!
Alex
Post #: 1
Re: Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke - May 5, 2006 6:34:00 AM   
Sean_Collins

Seems to me the risk is reduced by his anticoagulation and as long as his "INR" (International Normative Ratio - an indicator of clotting with 1 being normal, 2 being that clotting takes twice as long as normal) is therapuetic and the MD says go for it is as safe as anything else the patient needs to do to live life.
Asking the patient to do the ergometer is not more difficult than daily tasks the patient does regularly. In fact, often times, since we are aiming for aerobic training which needs to be at an intensity that can last 6-20 minutes the ergometer is easier. If it is harder, and they are working harder than in daily life, than the role of the ergometer should be assessed, and the use of structured intervals should be incorporated since you are doing near, maximal, or perhaps supramaximal VO2 max training.
Hope this helps -
Sean

Sean M. Collins, PT, ScD, CCS
Associate Professor
Research Coordinator
Department of Physical Therapy
Coordinator, Graduate Program in Disability Outcomes
Adjunct Professor, Department of Work Environment
School of Health &

(in reply to Ahlecs76)
Post #: 2
Re: Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke - May 5, 2006 9:05:00 AM   
Ahlecs76

That helped a lot Sean. I will look into his INR. Its my first time to hear about it. As for the MD orders I think I can get the MD to agree with me on putting him on ergo. We are currently doing 10 minutes with very little resistance as I am a little bit apprehensive.
Thanks once again
Alex

(in reply to Ahlecs76)
Post #: 3
Re: Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke - May 5, 2006 1:49:00 PM   
Dr.Wagner

You will be perfectly safe, particularly with anticoagulation. Therapuetic INR is between 2-3, but even without this, being on the cycle ergometer would pose no more risk than the typical ADL just as Sean mentioned.

Dr. Wagner DO
Moderator of Medical Complexity Forum

(in reply to Ahlecs76)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Medical Complexity >> Cycle ergometry for embolic stroke Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search