My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

In patient pneumonia protocol

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Medical Complexity >> In patient pneumonia protocol Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In patient pneumonia protocol - April 23, 2006 9:43:00 AM   
Dr.Wagner

How many Hospital PT's use a protocol or regularly ambulate pneumonia patients?

Dr. Wagner DO
Moderator of Medical Complexity Forum
Post #: 1
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 23, 2006 10:43:00 AM   
jma

I don't know of any protocols, except for Standard Precautions. If there are any, I would appreciate any info on it.

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 2
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 23, 2006 11:24:00 PM   
tucker

Why would one need a protocol for a patient with pneumonia?

Airborne precautions for these patients?

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 3
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 24, 2006 12:00:00 AM   
nari

About six years ago I was involved with development of protocols which excluded ambulation with a PT of any patient unless they had a deficit. That included, naturally, patients with pneumonia; it is the nurses' job to get them up and around, and they were quite happy with that.

Apart from that, we do not see any patients with pneumonia unless they have difficulty clearing secretions. Once treated, it is then up to the nurses to check they are moving about.
It freed up busy staff who had more time to do effective therapy with those who needed our specific skills.

Just a thought to consider.

Nari

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 4
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 24, 2006 8:50:00 AM   
tucker

Same here Nari. We are generally not consulted for patients with pneumonia as they do not have a decline in function...nurses walk them in the hallways. The only exception is on the geriatrics floor where a day or 2 of inactivity can easily bring a patient down to requiring assistance to get out of bed or stand. For these patients, skilled PT may be indicated to restore independence.

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 5
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 24, 2006 6:20:00 PM   
tucker

Dr. Wagner,

Are you referring to community-acquired or hospital-acquired pneumonia? My guess is CAP.

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 6
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 24, 2006 8:57:00 PM   
Dr.Wagner

I was referring to CAP, but hospital acquired would need said treatment as well.

I am surprised at this, there is such a fantastic benefit in ambulation and increasing endurance with CAP patients and such a dramatic decline in ability with those patients with COPD. At several of the hospitals I have worked, there is a standard evaluation for inpatients (not 23 hour observations).

It is exceedingly important for these patients do NOT decline...and bounce back in one week. I would not rely on nursing.

Dr. Wagner DO

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 7
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 24, 2006 9:05:00 PM   
SJBird55

Hey, wags... your message box is stuffed!

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 8
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 24, 2006 9:21:00 PM   
Dr.Wagner

not now!

Dr. Wagner DO

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 9
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 25, 2006 8:01:00 PM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

If its not skilled, the nurses do it. I don't have time or inclination to walk someone who does not require me to help them when a CNA could do it just as well. Heck, half the time when it is ordered, the nurses have already walked them to the tub.

He who is wise in the ways of science
The Omniscient One

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 10
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 25, 2006 8:44:00 PM   
nari

Tom, I agree totally. We have more specific things to do in the acute area; besides, if a patient deteriorates in function, we can be informed of this.
Communication is everything; and if it doesn't work well, it is still no excuse for PTs to be walking COPD patients just for some CV fitness. There is not the time for this, despite all the preventative potential, as Dr Wagner recognises.
That is a nursing issue, or a job for the PTAs.
I don't know what a CNA is, but assume it is a nonregistered nurse??

Nari

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 11
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 25, 2006 10:43:00 PM   
tucker

Yes Nari. Great post Tom!

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 12
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 26, 2006 3:55:00 AM   
nari

Junction

Yikes. Are you kidding? Killing or curing?

In an Aged Care unit, category 3 might be possible...but I doubt it. Far too agressive IMHO.

It has been shown that increased mobility can be just as effective as all the banging/thumping and other interventions by PT; some education and regular walking has been done as a routine for some years here successfully, for post-cardiac surgery, pneumonia and COPD. COPD responds very well for the ambulatory patient of all ages by simple graded walking programs. Nothing else.

In fact, PD is done only for cystic fibrosis and uncontrolled bronchiectasis. The flutter has replaced almost all respiratory care with good results and self-management by the patient is also very good, because they are doing it themselves and it is very easy. Even the fragile oldies can do it.

Nari

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 13
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 26, 2006 12:53:00 PM   
jma

Is this protocol from the place you work. If so, can you provide the reference for it? Would be nice to show it to the MD's down here

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 14
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 26, 2006 4:16:00 PM   
nari

A Flutter is something that looks like a short fat peacepipe, made of steel with a solid ball bearing in the 'pipe'. Breathing is slowly done through the mouthpiece, the ball bearing vibrates and it has been shown to be just as effective or better than all the hands-on stuff; the vibrations rattle gently through the respiratory tract.

It's been around for about ten years or more and has largely replaced the old time consuming therapy of applying vibrations externally. Extremely effective for mobilising secretions, and PD can be done as well - but no banging and pushing. The PT does nothing except show the patient how to hold it and to breathe deeply and slowly.
Costs about $200AU - most chronic patients are more than happy to pay once they have trialed it.

I haven't got the references with me - but look it up and you may be surprised!

Nari

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 15
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 26, 2006 8:53:00 PM   
nari

Junction

PubMed is a good source for studies on the flutter; and some of these are quite recent. Since about 1999 at our local hospital it has been extensively used for inpatients, outpatients and in the community. Once the respiratory doctors got used to another weird idea from PTs, they loved it.

nari

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 16
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 27, 2006 10:21:00 PM   
Dr.Wagner

Perhaps the jist was to evaluate the patient, then discuss who can best treat the patient. In no way was I insinuating that "walking" a patient was a PT's job, but rather developing a treatment plan for hospital and home and allowing the PTA or tech to initiate the plan.

This is a HUGE potential area for treatment and seeing the benefit of exercise.

The "Flutter", I have seen many RT's use the device, they seem to really like it.

Dr. Wagner DO

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 17
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - April 28, 2006 3:45:00 PM   
Tom Reeves DPT ATC

I didn 't take it that way anyway Wags. I agree that they could/should be screened by the admitting doc, or the RN when they do their initial evaluations. If there are red flags or if the patient worries the nursing staff, a PT assessment could be triggered. I think a more important trigger might be for the SLP to do a swallow study to see if they are aspirating. That would maybe prevent a pneumonia rather than just treating it.

He who is wise in the ways of science
The Omniscient One

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 18
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - May 1, 2006 12:54:00 AM   
rich porterville

so thats what walking pnuemonia is?? wow

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 19
Re: In patient pneumonia protocol - May 1, 2006 2:20:00 PM   
Dr.Wagner

I was speaking of the 60-75 year old Community Acquired pneumonia type with COPD and obesity...but it could work with Aspiration Pneumonia as well.

One of the reasons I was interested in this, was because of old pneumonia protocols in the old Osteopathic Hospitals that included lymphatic treatment and early exercise. Apprently it had great success and I was hoping many of the PT's had picked it up.

Dr. Wagner DO

(in reply to Dr.Wagner)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Medical Complexity >> In patient pneumonia protocol Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search