My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

RE: Re: DOCTOR OF MUSCULOSKELETAL PRACTICE

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> RE: Re: DOCTOR OF MUSCULOSKELETAL PRACTICE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Re: DOCTOR OF MUSCULOSKELETAL PRACTICE - December 7, 2010 2:17:18 PM   
ysumpt2006

PT's in the military have been frontline providers for years. If it's good enough for our soldiers, it's good enough for the general population, IMHO

Ken Shearer, PT
http://lonewolfstrength.wordpress.com

(in reply to lee9786)
Post #: 21
RE: Re: DOCTOR OF MUSCULOSKELETAL PRACTICE - December 8, 2010 9:41:02 AM   
grifffdog

Military is a whole different ball game than civilian practice as I understand it. Any current-past military PT's care to comment on differences, esp medico-legal issues, MD-PT relations, populations served, etc.

(in reply to ysumpt2006)
Post #: 22
RE: Re: DOCTOR OF MUSCULOSKELETAL PRACTICE - December 8, 2010 12:11:10 PM   
SJBird55

In my interactions with military physical therapists... if I have understood what they have told me correctly... not every military PT has the ability to truly be a first in line provider.  In order to practice at that level - to prescribe medications, order diagnostic testing and read diagnostic test results, those particular military physical therapists have a substantial amount of additional training under their belt.  If I remember correctly, they also need, I'm not sure the right word - I think they go through a process and they need certain criteria met before they can advance to being a first in line musculoskeletal provider.  And, once they achieve that level, I believe there is annual criteria that need to be met to ensure optimal performance.  From what the military therapists have told me, the MD-PT relationship isn't horrible.  It's almost like the ego/control kind of thing doesn't have a huge role - the orthopaedic surgeons, in particular, don't want to be wasting their time with non-surgical candidates.

(in reply to grifffdog)
Post #: 23
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> RE: Re: DOCTOR OF MUSCULOSKELETAL PRACTICE Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search