My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Re: Is the Future Bright enough?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Re: Is the Future Bright enough? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 4, 2007 1:41:00 PM   
ONstudentPT555

I think from what I have heard .. you can make more money in PT then in nursing .. and your earning potential in the long run if you own your own clinic is greater. There are PTs who own thier own clinics and make over 200k a year.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 41
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 4, 2007 2:11:00 PM   
jtanga

I know PT is making more money than nurse....Like i said before the main reason why I change my mind in PT is because of the requirements...After I heard about the masters and doctorate requirements I change my mind.Masters degree is what...another 3-4 years after finishing bachelors degree right?...thats too long.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 42
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 4, 2007 6:21:00 PM   
jma

Just an FYI, some Master's programs are 2 years and some 2.5. Some doctoral programs are 3 years long.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 43
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 5, 2007 12:06:00 AM   
Karie

jtanga

If you end up liking the job you chose because of the money that is the key. I have met and know alot of people working jobs that they hate for the only reason that they make alot of money from it. They are not healthy or very happy people. Medical research supports this fact. Our psychology friends know this aspect even better than we.

I did not take it that you were being negative about PT at all.

Karie :-)

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 44
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 5, 2007 3:12:00 AM   
jtanga

I wanna ask you a question karie...how did you become a PT?...Is that really your dream job?

Why people do janitorial job...bus driver...pizza delivery guy....Are these people happy on their job?Are they doing this job because this is their passion?...what about those people who work in supermarket...or in the airport....pls. answer this question karie.

Are these people doing this job because this is their passion or for job security and needs.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 45
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 5, 2007 3:53:00 PM   
jtanga

Besides if I don't like the job I can still change my career.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 46
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 5, 2007 10:57:00 PM   
Karie

I grew up on a dairy farm jtanga and my High School Sophmore year started really looking at medical careers. I knew I didn't have the dedication for the many years it took to be a doctor, besides not being able to afford it, and I fear needles, so I wouldn't make a good nurse. I have a nephew that was born with Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita and observed alot of PT/OT time with him over the years too. Spent alot of time in physical therapy departments and decided that was what I wanted to do and have been doing that ever since, and yes it is my dream job. It provided flexibility for raising my family and now I have my own practice.

I don't get what your rant is about jtanga, if you happen to get paid alot of money doing your passion, great. I'd rather work in a job that I like for less pay, then one that I hate for more. It's healthier to spend your lifetime doing things you enjoy that's basic. 24/7 365 days/week dairy farming wasn't my piece of cake, but my Dad loved every minute of it and he barely would have been considered lower middle class. Money doesn't buy happiness but if you are happy doing what you do and your able to be in a job that pays alot, well lucky you!!!

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 47
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 6, 2007 4:49:00 AM   
johnny appleseed

jtanga: Why are you still here?

Isn't there a nursing (or pizza delivery) forum somewhere out there you can rant to? I can barely understand the grammar & logic behind your posts anymore and I'm used to hearing & reading bad English. I think you're trying to get into a 'philosophical dalliance' with Karie but dude...forget it. You and her are from diametric opposite worlds and, quite frankly, values as well.

Now my give-away:
If you considered PT at one point, you're probably an OK guy. But pick something and stick to it...figure out what you're willing to give up to get what you want. If the amount of money you can make working 12 hour shifts is the only thing that means anything to you then by all means....go for it.

But if you were really interested in financial freedom as opposed to just money...well...you'd start a business instead.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 48
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 6, 2007 2:42:00 PM   
jtanga

Johnny why are u so mad at me?...

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 49
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 6, 2007 4:31:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

Don't confuse anger with disgust. You're in THE easiest place in the world (the USA for our foreign readers) to go from zero to hero in 10 years. You?ve got the entire internet at your fingertips. You?ve got an amazing educational system. You have access to the easiest & largest amount of unsecured credit terms in the entire world. You can do ?anything- here but your driving focus is on stuff that means jack-shiz in the big picture.

Small people occupy themselves with acquiring ?stuff?. Big people occupy themselves with achievement. The money comes naturally after that. If you don't think about what you?re doing, your legacy & name dies with you. Or when the money runs out.

Live forever in true accomplishment, achievement and wide impact on other people's lives. If you?ve got the talent -> use it.

Can you imagine all the Issac Newtons that were never discovered because he was herding goats? All the Alberta Einsteins that were lost to the world b/k she was hidden underneath a full-body veil and handcuffed by a 3rd grade education?

Anything less in this land of opportunity and equality (more or less) is a waste.
And a terrible terrible pity.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 50
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 6, 2007 5:50:00 PM   
jtanga

Dude u don't really understand do u...I grew up in a poor family and country.This is the only way for me to move up so that my future kids have bright future.I know A lot of people in here used to be a PT...but because of "financial"problem they change their career.
here is the link
http://www.rehabedge.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/000027/p/1.html#000000
Now let me ask you a question...do u even have a girlfriend?

You pretend you know everything,but deep inside your heart you know your wrong.Open your mind.

IM NOT THE ONLY ONE JOHNNY.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 51
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 6, 2007 8:37:00 PM   
physioo

can u give all a break and shut this crap?

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 52
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 6, 2007 10:01:00 PM   
jtanga

bye guys

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 53
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 7, 2007 12:31:00 AM   
johnny appleseed

You are here. You have the GI Bill. I assume you have a green card and a somewhat stable living situation. You have no kids. You have unlimited internet, a computer and obvious free time. WTF are you talking about growing up in poor family for? Get over your self-imposed limitations because they don't exist anymore.
------------
That's right. You got me man. That was me questioning entry to the field in the darkest days of the profession in 2001. When the very existance of PT as a profession was in question. That was also me questioning my ability, to quote myself, "to be the super PT my patients deserved".

>>> 6 years ago, my ability to impact other people's lives, based on my natural talent, actually mattered to me. [That's crazy.]

I did everyone and myself a favor by not finishing. Luckily i've been called a star in my performance reviews in work I love, excel at, and has endless opportunity. Everybody won no?

This is great; I love that you searched out all my old posts. I especially love the 'do you even have a girlfriend' comment. You fight dirty.

I don't think anyone is questioning your desire to go into nursing for the money. (what a concept!) Money obviously motivates you but you've got some kind of weird, deep, shame & guilt complex about becoming a nurse for the money. I must've hit a nerve becuase you keep trying to 'prove' to us why becoming a male nurse is the only logical career choice in this land of milk and honey. You're like a case-study....it's absolutely hysterical. :)

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 54
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 7, 2007 6:43:00 AM   
SJBird55

Nice to see that we have "cultural diversity" right here at the Edge.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 55
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 7, 2007 7:38:00 AM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

I love the cultural-social-psychological assessments done here! It's like standing behind glass and watching an old fashioned mudslinging fight! Mind you, ...by little kids....

Mundi vult decipi

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 56
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 7, 2007 10:58:00 PM   
nari

Cultural diversity and delusions of grandeur-to-come with mud pies plus an amazing look at how some USA citizens promote their country!

Nari

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 57
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 8, 2007 6:55:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

If a man like George W. can be elected president....anything is possible in America. :)

And...
"If you cannot concieve of it, it cannot be."

-toodles

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 58
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 15, 2007 1:57:00 AM   
jtanga

LOL

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 59
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - April 10, 2007 5:33:00 PM   
Dr Simon Bacaltos

Predicting whether the future the PT profession would bright or is very difficult, and nobodys could ever be 100 percent sure about anything in the long run. But in immediate future it seems like its getting better.
Recently as of November 25, 2006 my state (New York) passed the direct access law, a dream for all NY PT's just few years back. The truth of the matter, that it has come about by intensive lobbying, negotiating and collaborating with various key players most specially the law makers of the state.
At our current professional state we will have struggle in order to further PT agenda. Not unlike the early beginnings of the medical profession, when they were competing against many types of medical practitioners. The pioneering physicians struggled and overcame their enemies through uniformity medical training and being scientific in what they do, plus they pushed and lobbied for legislative reforms. It was never a smooth sailing for physicians, they underwent through many trials and tribulations and has emerged victorious. I don't expect our profession to be any different nor unique, look at medicine's history, we are following the same pattern.
These are growing pains that all members of the profession, will have to go through and hopefully will emerged wiser and a mature professionals.
First we have know who we are, so we ask: what does it mean to be a PT or what is a PT? By knowing ourselves can define our role and contribution to the health and well being of the public.
Grounded in this self-knowledge, we can then branch out into all fields of health care: prevention, promotion, restoration and rehabilitation. Knowing our capacity for promoting health we can then identify ourselves as part and parcel of primary practitioners and not just a recourse to when injury or disease has already occured.

We have to be active in all spheres of health care, from the mainline health system to
the alternative practices. PT has a very rich history of traditional(alternative)practices that promotes health and wellness that these other pseudo-health practitioners are promoting as their own to the public.

I'm going off at tangent, but as an optimist I see the future brighter both in the immediate and in the long run. Though the profession has to go through many evolutionary phases and paradigm shifts to arrive at a fully formed and mature profession. Nonetheless, in the short run we have won many battles, I expect more battles and more fights at many levels (ie. clinical, academic, political, social, spiritual?)
So lets keep marching on to that glorious and victorious day!

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Re: Is the Future Bright enough? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search