My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Re: Is the Future Bright enough?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Re: Is the Future Bright enough? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 6:25:00 PM   
jtanga

Heh im already in USA...I'm a prior service.Use to be in the Army....so why you end up in the USA?..lol Because you want some money too right?...lol...hmmm i smell jealousy.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 21
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 8:02:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

Jealousy? No.

Actually I feel pity for you. You are enslaved to the value of a man being measured only in dollars whereas it should also be measured in the strength of their conviction and impact of their actions.

I can tell from the way you talk 'making 200k this' and 'bought a 800k house' you are looking for someone to pat you on the back and say: "you are right...you are right...we should all become nurses". To help make you feel better about wanting to become a male nurse.

But you're not going to get that here.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 22
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 10:40:00 PM   
jtanga

LOL say whatever you want.How did you know the reason why i wanna be a nurse because of money only ^_^ yeah money is one of it.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 23
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 26, 2007 6:44:00 AM   
Sebastian Asselbergs

Just a note from a not-so-hothead:
Why is it that any question or post about how much PTs make, should make or want to make, is shot down? Johnny, you are not a PT, so why are YOU so vocal against anyone who talks $$ in PT?

I am not interested in the $$ as much as some, but for those who are, please let them ask and talk. How else are we going to communicate about this?

JTanga - I don't know how your essay writing is, or your scientific writing or anything else. I only know what I see here. IF it is an accurate depiction of your language skills, YES, you do need a bit of work. English is my second language (in a group of six or so), and it can be quite challenging. It has many regional and continental differences. But learn it well, and you can accomplish much in ANY field.

Mundi vult decipi

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 24
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 26, 2007 9:35:00 AM   
jtanga

Sebastian thanks dude...

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 25
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 26, 2007 8:33:00 PM   
PhysioThis

johnny,
Talk to me. Why such heated emotion?
Are you having regrets of choosing not to become a PT? Are you considering returning to school?
If any of this is remotely true, PM me if you want. Or just post an *off to me here.

jtanga - listen and learn - for the second time.

Ed, PT, MTB-XC

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 26
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 26, 2007 9:10:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

Does one have to be a PT in order to be an advocate for PT or the Future of PT? To inherently know what's good and bad for the survival and thriving of a profession?
As a strategist in my 9-5, I think I know a little.

Let me be clear - I have never stated that money isn't important. In fact, I will quote myself verbatim saying money IS very important:

- "Here in America, it IS about the money."
- "Chase the money but expand your mind for God's sake."
-"the value of a man being measured only in dollars whereas it should also be measured in the strength of their conviction and impact of their actions."

Money is the core of everything. And quite frankly if the average PT salary was 6-figures+, it would attract more type-A brainiacs that make worlds turn. PT is what it is though.

At the same time, we are blessed that we live in a 1st world society that can think of MORE things than just money at the moment. Like??the future and the type of person invested in building that future.

PT is at risk in low APTA membership rates, Psych Techs commandeering the PT initials with no complaint from PTs and the average career of a PT in the USA (in 2001) being measured at 7 years. Yada yada yada.

Those are some negative numbers for building a core leadership, an enthusiastic practicing body and a militant advocacy. (YES ? I SAID MILITANT). Militant type-A people do not take ?no? for an answer. They fight for their rights. And they stay true to a cause célèbre.

I admire people who love their profession. And it seems pretty obvious that people who love their profession tend to be more enthusiastic about expanding power and prestige. For example, in 2006 it became possible for pharmacists in California to write for certain Rx's based on their scope of practice with NO MD co-initialing. You think this legislation was authored by someone half-in half-out of their profession? I'm personally acquainted with the author of this legislation and let me tell you: he is a gifted man with fangs and a absolute sense of purpose. Could he make more money doing something else? (As a nurse working double shifts?). Probably. But he loves his profession.

Like I mentioned above "I liked my classmates and always found US/Ausi trained PT's to be solid, well rounded, intelligent people in general. I enjoy seeing people enjoy their profession. And PT is still close to my heart. So...I visit."

I realized early the profession was not for me. So I got out. And that's the way it should be. But I can sure as hell respect and admire the people who ARE good for the profession. And I will call out the ones who most definitely are not.

Werden Sie daraus klug?

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 27
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 26, 2007 9:52:00 PM   
Jon Newman

Just a reminder of the initial question:

[QUOTE]I am ok with not making million, I just want to work with people.

So I ask the question again, Is the future bright enough? or am I taking a huge risk?[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/30/064887/064887_03_03_30.wav]Evidence[/URL]

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 28
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 26, 2007 9:58:00 PM   
jtanga

The reason why i change my mind about PT is because of the masters degree requirements..Yes money is one of it but the main reason is the requirements.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 29
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 12:01:00 AM   
jtanga

Johnny are u Filipino?....

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 30
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 11:29:00 AM   
johnny appleseed

No....not at all. But I am an Aquarius.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 31
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 11:43:00 AM   
jtanga

heh...yeah right.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 32
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 1:18:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

The closest tie i have to the Phillipines is being routed there by AT&T and Dell customer service.

If you think this commentary is some kind of twisted phillipino pride/machismo thing, you're wrong.

I will say I see many sharp phillipino nationals here in the States that have the brain (but lack perspective) and wind up selling themselves short.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 33
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 7:03:00 PM   
PhysioThis

Points well taken, johnny.
I'm not sure if your tirade against this obviously misguided individual qualifies as PT advocacy, though. It reads as more personal than that.

I'm sure you are aware of the overall US health care crisis, Why even suggest he be a nurse? I'll bet more patients are injured/die at the hands of incompetent chuckle-headed nurses like him than we can imagine.

Good news is, we are viewed as militant by orthos, at least in NY and with our push against POPTS. I know, they tell me this straight up. I love it.

I'm interested to know what a strategist does.

Ed, PT, MTB-XC

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 34
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 9:55:00 PM   
jtanga

?nobody can dictate what I really want...Ill do whatever i want to do..its my life .

Dont judge me ok?...Im really sick and tired of this preaching.Who do you think you are?...What did you accomplish in life?Are u a god who can judge a person like that?

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 35
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 27, 2007 10:04:00 PM   
jtanga

to appleseed heh yeah right..LOL how did you know the word TIYAK,MAYAMAN,and jose rizal.LOL

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 36
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 3, 2007 2:33:00 PM   
Karie

As Jon stated, to get back to the original question, yes Ted it is worth it. WE have alot of issues in PT that we are having to pull up our sleeves and get down in the trenches so to speak and work out. But, we will. I would go for the DPT with the vision and progression that PT is headed in, you would only have to go back for it and believe me, going back isn't that easy of a decision. I am a bachelor PT and just can't afford to go back. I got three kids of my own that I am trying to help through college, one attempting vet school with an enormous price tag. Talk about cost vs. payback, Vets don't make that much for what they have to go through in training, but of course, just like us, they do it for the love of their profession.
Bottom line, if you like the work, you will find yourself in a great profession. Being in a profession that makes lots of money but causes high stress because you only go for the money ends up costing you in your health, relationships, and personal self worth.

Good Luck!
Karie

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 37
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 4, 2007 9:40:00 AM   
jma

Excellent post!! Well said.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 38
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 4, 2007 12:33:00 PM   
jtanga

I agree with that Karie PT is a good profession and its worth it.But it doesn't mean if I went on a profession because of the money only I'm not gonna be happy.Some people change their profession because of the money..guess what they end up loving that job.If I were forced to do a job because of the money thats difference.

Here is some of the story in allnurses.com why did they become nurse.

Well I started out wanting to be a horse trainer but I realized that I wasn't going to make the big bucks at that job and I decided to become a high school teacher but that didn't pan out and I am glad that it didn't. I finally decided on becoming an nurse and i am soooooooo glad at what I did. I would have never been able to do and see the things that I have all these years.

I have been a nurse for 30 years and in corrections for 16 and I am glad that I am doing this. I love my job and I wake up wanting to go to work and each day I feel like this is where I am supposed to be, taking care of these guys and making their life just a little better and making them feel like there are a few people that care.... I only have 6 more years and then I can retire, but I don't think that I would ever completely quit working, I will find something to do in my spare time when I can.

I'm not bashing the PT community...I'm just giving my personal opinion.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 39
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - March 4, 2007 1:23:00 PM   
jtanga

Some people's motivation is money,so pls. respect them.It doesn't mean they do it for the money they are not good and happy in their job.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Re: Is the Future Bright enough? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search