My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Is the Future Bright enough?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Is the Future Bright enough? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is the Future Bright enough? - October 18, 2006 3:47:00 PM   
TedSutarik

Here is the situation,

I am considering a DPT program near to where I live.

I've read several of the posts on this website and I am truly grateful for the information shared and the possible down sides to this profession.

My question for eveyone I guess is:

Is it worth getting a DPT and becoming a physical therapist?

It seems like many that post on this website would discourage me from taking such a course of action.

I am ok with not making million, I just want to work with people.

So I ask the question again, Is the future bright enough? or am I taking a huge risk?

Thanks
Post #: 1
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - October 18, 2006 6:33:00 PM   
jma

Here is a quoted passage from the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S Department of Labor Statistics.

"Job Outlook [About this section] Back to Top

Employment of physical therapists is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations through 2014. The impact of proposed Federal legislation imposing limits on reimbursement for therapy services may adversely affect the short-term job outlook for physical therapists. However, over the long run, the demand for physical therapists should continue to rise as growth in the number of individuals with disabilities or limited function spurs demand for therapy services. Job opportunities should be particularly good in acute hospital, rehabilitation, and orthopedic settings, because the elderly receive the most treatment in these settings. The growing elderly population is particularly vulnerable to chronic and debilitating conditions that require therapeutic services. Also, the baby-boom generation is entering the prime age for heart attacks and strokes, increasing the demand for cardiac and physical rehabilitation. Further, young people will need physical therapy as technological advances save the lives of a larger proportion of newborns with severe birth defects.

Future medical developments also should permit a higher percentage of trauma victims to survive, creating additional demand for rehabilitative care. In addition, growth may result from advances in medical technology that could permit the treatment of more disabling conditions.

Widespread interest in health promotion also should increase demand for physical therapy services. A growing number of employers are using physical therapists to evaluate worksites, develop exercise programs, and teach safe work habits to employees in the hope of reducing injuries in the workplace."

In addition, not all PT programs offer the entry level DPT. Some programs still offer the Masters' degree.

As technology allows us to live longer, there will be an increased need for our services in the future.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 2
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - January 16, 2007 9:22:00 AM   
jtanga

Just wondering how much are u getting right now?if u don't mind..I don't think PT is not making money.My sister told me one of the PT in Arizona is making $52 an hour which is not bad...it takes time and experience to get that money.A lot of people think after they graduate they gonna make a lot of money already.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 3
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 11, 2007 8:56:00 PM   
blast7

I would shadow some PT's in a variety of settings. If you enjoy science, customer service, and helping people improve their lives then PT is a great profession. There are a variety of ways to make more money while working if you are interested. i.e.per diem work, consulting, wellness programs, personal training, etc.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 4
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 12, 2007 1:28:00 AM   
johnny appleseed

First question: why only consider a DPT program?

If PT is your thing, its my opinion that you find the cheapest route there. Debt is an insidious thing.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 5
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 12, 2007 7:12:00 PM   
PhysioThis

Johnny,
I read your re-entry to the forum as well as your other posts back in the day. I envy you and your decision making.

What brought you back to the board?

Ed, PT, MTB-XC

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 6
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 13, 2007 9:20:00 PM   
jtanga

Dude all i can say is change a profession.....I was thinking about finishing my PT...but after my intensive research I change my mind.If you really wanna have some good money change your profession into nurse.Nurse can work 12 hours a day...3x a week...do the math.U can still work for extra 2 days.Nurse can do the what they call MDS.All you have to do is sit on the computer and type the diagnosis of the patient.I know money is not that important its about if you like your job right?...but hey without money we are not happy right? ^_^
I'm kinda jealous to my cousin they just bought a $800,000 worth of house .. him and his wife is just a nurse.They are making $200,000+ a year.
And if you really wanna have some good money make a private day care...every patiend is worth $3,000 .

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 7
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 17, 2007 2:20:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

Hey PhysioThis

What brings me back to the boards? (lol) I suppose I feel like I'm peeking into a corner of the universe I almost explored. I think sorta like Capt. Kirk gazing into The Neutral Zone and wondering what the hell-else goes on there beyond what he experienced in his "accidental" foray(s).

I liked my classmates and always found US/Ausi trained PT's to be solid, well rounded, intelligent people in general. I enjoy seeing people enjoy their profession. And PT is still close to my heart. So...I visit. :)

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 8
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 17, 2007 3:51:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

>>> TO Jtanga <<<

The PT profession does not need or want individuals like you. Go be a nurse. In fact, go become a SNF charge nurse and work double shifts 6 days a week. That's alot of money man....Mayaman!!

Of course, you must
1) Overleverage yourself on a "no-money down" 4000 sq ft house furnished with IKEA (then later with gaudy Queen Anne style particle-fill furniture.)
2) Make payments on a "zero-down" $60K luxury SUV that you hate filling with premium. Bought used (but don't tell anyone). Mercedes-only of course.

THEN, make sure you take plenty of pictures and brag to your relatives here in the States & back home in the Provinces HOW much money you make and how big a house you bought. Whenever you travel back, you must visit Boracay and let everyone know "we are going to Boracay". But don't say tooo much b/k then your relatives start complaining about your balikbayan boxes. Calvin Klein jeans with leg zippers?? Shaq Laker's jersey??? That's not in style....not good enough!

Doing well right??? Tiyak!

THEN, later on, wonder why your kids are all so messed up. You give them money but they get in trouble. Why don't they listen? Are they just trying to fit in with their friends at school? How come they ignore you?

Here in America, it IS about the money. But don't forget: as a non-military nurse you are the lowest "man" (hahahaha ....man??!?....hahahaha) on the totem pole.
As a nurse they point...and YOU wipe. The end.

Chase the money but expand your mind for God's sake. :o
When you start talking about how much money you can make wiping asses....everyone laughs & no one cares. But wait...you're still "better" than the LVN's and CNA's right? Treat them badly just to make yourself feel better.

At the end of the day: YOU ARE STILL WIPING MY ASS!!!!! :)
Tell your grandkids that!!!!!!!

I have your type pegged.
Do not become a PT.
You will do nothing for the profession.
-- Go away. --

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 9
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 17, 2007 10:11:00 PM   
FLAOrthoPT

ouch

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 10
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 17, 2007 10:26:00 PM   
ONstudentPT555

jtanga,

How do you expect to make it through PT or even nursing school and make any money when you barely have the ability to write a grammatically correct sentence?

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 11
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 18, 2007 2:04:00 AM   
goodlooks58

Jonny...you go man! you are on the mark! Now we need some honest bottom-line talk like yours. I have seen all fu-fu talk about evidenced based this and that..which is all good, but the honesty and frankness is awesome. jtanga...I hope you are learning from this forum: PTs become PTs because we love this profession. We actually, manually touch pts. and get them better and we and the pts. feel the change happening within them. After 21 years of being a practising PT in private practise, and with all the problems we face about reimbursements/POPTs etc I still get up in the morning and happy to go to see my pts. It's just pure fun for me. Now how many professions can give you this kind of extreme job satisfaction. (maybe a 760 IL BMW..ah! just kidding)

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 12
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 18, 2007 9:20:00 AM   
Jon Newman

Please, please please, don't be a nurse either.

[URL=http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/30/064887/064887_03_03_30.wav]Evidence[/URL]

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 13
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 24, 2007 7:12:00 PM   
jtanga

TO johnny appleseed

Wow johnny relax....Well all I can say is the truth hurts right?...If you want I will wipe your ass...but first give me a massage...Pls. use lotion not powder :D :p

TO ONstudentPT555

So what if my grammar is wrong or whatever...Thats the reason why Chinese and korean people in the US are rich right because they cant speak and write English very well right? hehehe LOL

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 14
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 3:07:00 AM   
jtanga

I never talk **** about the job of PT so don't talk ****...Say that "wiping ass" in front of the nurse's and u might end up dead.Just go home and make your own massage parlor johnny appleseed.

All I can say is the truth hurts right?

TO ONstudentPT555
Thanks for the comment....That really hurts my feeling, one day you will realize what you said is wrong.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 15
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 10:28:00 AM   
ONstudentPT555

jtanga,

I wasnt really trying to hurt your feelings but merely giving you some advice. In PT and probably nursing school as well you will be required to do assignments that require proper knowledge of grammer and writing skills.. so this is something you will need to work on to get through the program.

It seems like your main concern is money...and dont get me wrong money is one aspect of life that can be important. From my knowlegde in general PTs usually make more money then Nurses ..without having to do the same personal hygiene duties nurses are required to do at times... at least where I live. Most people dont go into PT just for the money itself... but that doesnt mean you cannot make a good living. In a 2002 opa survey it was revealed that PTs who own there own clinics have an average income of about 85-110k a year and there were some PTS who were making 200k. Even as employees some PTs who worked over 40 hours a week were making over 110k. So it is possible to make good money but that shouldnt necessarily be your only driving factor to get into the profession.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 16
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 12:04:00 PM   
jtanga

TO ONstudentPT555
advice eh?...or an insult.

Just remember guys there is KARMA...And for those people who made a comment about me and nursing..mark my word you guys are not gonna succeed in life...especially johnny appleseed.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 17
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 1:01:00 PM   
ONstudentPT555

No not an insult .. there is no reason for me to insult someone I have never met and dont know. If you really want to be a nurse and enjoy the type of work they do ..well then good luck..but dont you agree that it will be important to have proper grammer and writing skills to get through a university program.. just common sense IMO.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 18
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 4:22:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

>> Jtanga: <<

What KARMA are you talking about? How am I giving you an evil eye? I'm telling you how it is. If you're angry about having to wipe asses being a nurse, that's on YOU buddy. You're the one getting offended with the truth.

Do only things you're proud of. That you can look another man in the eye and say: this is what i WANT to do, I have the ABILITY to do it, and NOTHING is going to stop me.

Anything less is a waste of time and soul.

Ask yourself: Would Jose Rizal be proud that the sons of his revolution were dreaming to wipe asses in a foreign country?
I don't think so and the fact my words bother you so bad tell me YOU don't think so either.

Look me in the eyes when you get here.
I will be the one passing by while you are putting a bedpan under someone. (remember to double glove).

Enjoy it! I am happy you're coming to America b/k we need STRONG MEN like you willing to
1) swallow their pride
2) abandon their native country,
3) buy into the materialism that drives MY economy.

Your type is easy to control because I just throw a few dollars at your feet and you do exactly what I want. I love it.

Do not become a PT.
Be a nurse.

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 19
Re: Is the Future Bright enough? - February 25, 2007 4:34:00 PM   
johnny appleseed

By the way, I'm not a PT.

So there is a very small chance I will ever use my professional judgment to evaluate you, determine a course of treatment, and actually get around to healing you.

BUT...
There is a VERY good chance you may wipe my ass one day.

:)

(in reply to TedSutarik)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Is the Future Bright enough? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search