My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

physical therapy technicians/aides

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> physical therapy technicians/aides Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
physical therapy technicians/aides - May 10, 2006 5:35:00 PM   
Mako43

Anybody care to commint on the use of techs/aides to perform therex/US/ther.activities in private practice in the state of Florida and the legality of such. Anyone know the definative regulation? Even the CMS guidelines seem ambiguous.I personally think they should be used for nothing but housekeeping duties, set-up etc., but not direct provision of services.
Post #: 1
Re: physical therapy technicians/aides - May 10, 2006 6:18:00 PM   
SJBird55

There is no ambiguity in CMS guidelines. Only physical therapists and physical therapist assistants may provide physical therapy services. The level of supervision of a physical therapist assistant varies by site.

(in reply to Mako43)
Post #: 2
Re: physical therapy technicians/aides - May 10, 2006 8:33:00 PM   
jma

Go to the florida PT website at: http://www.fpta.org/ and see if you can find the specifics there.

(in reply to Mako43)
Post #: 3
RE: Re: physical therapy technicians/aides - July 28, 2007 7:42:38 PM   
plhunter

SJBIRD55, is correct only PT's and PTA's may treat a Medicare pt. and charge for the service.  If it is non-Medicare than a technician may be used.    I have seen this being abused almost everywhere where I have worked.   Our State Board doesn't care because our regulations state that a PT has the sole responsiblity of feeling who is capable to treating a patient and the State Board feels if it is against Medicare then, contact Medicare.

Peggy

(in reply to jma)
Post #: 4
RE: physical therapy technicians/aides - October 5, 2007 1:57:21 AM   
AdamP

Peggy is right on. It is legal to have an aide do ANYTHING you deem them to be competent in completing; however, it is not legal to bill medicare and various other insurances for this. I personally feel that it is a slap in the face that anyone could come in the clinic and do my job. A lot of clinic do this and it is very unfortunate.

(in reply to Mako43)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> physical therapy technicians/aides Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search