My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Re: Foreign trained PT's

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Re: Foreign trained PT's Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Foreign trained PT's - May 28, 2005 12:11:00 PM   
jma

That is unfortunate. I hope this is not a trend that will spread in every state in the future.

(in reply to christiandrv)
Post #: 21
Re: Foreign trained PT's - December 5, 2005 1:10:00 AM   
physio_anjali

how can foreign trained PT get the credentials evaluated? whats are the documents needed to be sent to APTA to get the credentials verified?

Post #: 22
Re: Foreign trained PT's - December 5, 2005 1:13:00 AM   
physio_anjali

Can foreign trained PT'S work as PTA initially ? is there any company which sponsors work permit for work as PTA?

Post #: 23
Re: Foreign trained PT's - December 13, 2005 3:58:00 AM   
christiandrv

Hello anjali,

Foreign trained PT's like us can get credentials evaluation through credentialing authorities like, FCCPT (Foreign Credentialing Commission on PT), ICD (International Consultants of Delaware) or ICHP (International Council on Health Professions). They are the companies with authorization to grant such certificates. That is the first step. Regarding your 2nd question, yes, foreign PT's can work as PTA's initially; usually until the licensure process has been completed.

crv

Post #: 24
Re: Foreign trained PT's - December 13, 2005 6:57:00 AM   
Randy Dixon

I would say not as PTA's in states that recognize PTA's, it's also licensed, you would work as a technician. However, if you manage to come it will probably be with the assistance of a sponsoring company so you will work as a PT who is undergoing licensing, just like new grads that haven't been licensed yet.

Post #: 25
Re: Foreign trained PT's - December 14, 2005 8:16:00 AM   
christiandrv

Yup, we would be designated as PTLA's, PT License applicant. :)

crv

Post #: 26
Re: Foreign trained PT's - December 15, 2005 2:40:00 PM   
physio_anjali

hello christiandrv,
is International credentialing associates,Inc,in Florida a good credential evaluation authority?

how can we come to the country ,i mean how can we get visa sponsorship for PTA jobs as foreign applicants?

Post #: 27
Re: Foreign trained PT's - September 1, 2006 5:47:00 PM   
k76

Hello to everybody. I am a Filipina (Foreign National)BSPT graduate from philippines. My Husband and I move here in Corpus,Christi Texas 2 weeks ago & Were in the military. And I am thinking to apply for PT licence here in corpus,christi. I read some of the forum here -texas is hard to get in. I know most of the forum here were posted late. Im hoping some body here could reply to my question. I dont know how am i going to apply for a licence and where to start& if they would accept me because im a foreign national &if there is any review course that i should attend to take the exam.
Its so depressing ..esp.if you dont know any body from this field that you could ask an information. hopefuly there is some body here that i could be able to talk or give me a reply back. Thanks...

C.Mc ilrath

Post #: 28
Re: Foreign trained PT's - October 19, 2006 10:37:00 AM   
shalaka

Hi all,
I am a PT from India, did my masters here from university of Florida. At present going through licensing process for FL state. It's really good that we have this forum. I, myself, am facing with so many troubles with my credential. First of all, I had to get my credits evaluated as I did my bachelors from India. Then, the report said I lacked 39 credits in general education, non-PT stuff [god knows how that matters when working as therapist. Now in 2006 board changed their coursework tool, so again I lack credits in professional education. My evaluating agency says they need a detailed syllabus, with 2-3 pages for each course [who gives that?].. anyways, I have luckily managed to get more details from my indian college. But agency still has to prepare a new report and I don't know if I will get anything new lacking or not.
Like a fool, I left my work in MI, and moved to FL without confirming that I ahve suffiecient credits. In this I have wasted one year, so guys, plz make sure that u WILL be elligible for a state licensure before making a move. And do not forget to confirm with ur agency too..

Post #: 29
Re: Foreign trained PT's - October 19, 2006 10:42:00 AM   
shalaka

I have a question for everyone.
I have been told to get following credits done, I don't know if my detailed syllabus will provide this so asking to be safe-

Administration
Legal and ethical aspects of PT practice
Communication related to pateint/client care
Psychosocial aspects of PT practice

Where will I get to do these individual courses?
I have contacted Univ of Phoenix, but found only 2 courses and that to little costly. Please help
Shalaka

Post #: 30
Re: Foreign trained PT's - October 20, 2006 12:56:00 PM   
PHSPT

Have you contacted the APTA? apta.org
I'd also check with your alma mater to see if they can assist you/direct you

Post #: 31
Re: Foreign trained PT's - November 20, 2006 9:23:00 AM   
nocogelo

Hi does anybody have the access to this OSullivan study guide for the NPTE exam , would appreciate any help , am living in Germany ?

ADY

Post #: 32
Re: Foreign trained PT's - November 26, 2006 11:53:00 AM   
Eliana

Hi Ady, I do have it. I menan, I have the book. How can I help you? Did you try to get it from Amazon?

Post #: 33
Re: Foreign trained PT's - January 15, 2007 10:39:00 AM   
shalaka

Hi PHSPT,
I contacted my ICD, my agency as well as FL state board and they both told me that the credits need to be taken from univ that offers PT program.
so APTA won't help..
is there anyone else applying for FL state license? Has anyon eused ICD and FCCPT evaluating agencies, so i can compare the two?

Post #: 34
do I have any option? - December 11, 2007 8:04:54 PM   
shalaka

Hi all,
it is very depressing for me right now. my evaluating agency has not accepted the detail documentation sent by university in India. As a result i lack many professional credits (some are basic like cardiopulmonary examination). As angry and depressed as I am, i can not argue with the agency beyond a point.

I would like to know options in front of me.

1) enter into entry level masters or doctoral PT program so as to avoid the evaluation: I am thinking of doctoral -it is at least a degree further. i have a family to look after so i am considering part time/ online format. does anyone know such DPT programs other than FLEX at USA?

2) get all those deficient credits from universities like ATSU- ATSU has online t-DPT program that allows non-degree option. I am little skeptical to spend couple of years, money, not get a degree and still get evaluated in the end.

3) take up a short diploma/associate course to work as massage therapist or medical biller & coder- both programs are offered in my city but i need a visa to work. that visa in turn needs a bachelor degree. there are people who have worked around  the system and gotten visa without bachelors. I just don't know anyone in massage therapy or medical billing.
Does any one know Indian national in above fields working on visa? They sure would be of great help.

I really don't know what other options I have. It is very frustating to sit at home after all these years of good education. Please help me.
all your suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks a lot
Shalaka

(in reply to shalaka)
Post #: 35
RE: do I have any option? - March 23, 2008 10:14:09 PM   
newphysio

Is the new coursework evaluation tool being implemented by FSBPT(check the website)going to be adopted by Michigan and Newyork state boards?anyone has any info on that?

(in reply to shalaka)
Post #: 36
RE: Re: Foreign trained PT's - March 13, 2009 1:14:34 AM   
infidel

coming to the states to work is not a simple process nor should it be...half the issue is your accredidation and the 2nd
half of the issue is your status (immigrant vs temp worker ...etc)...the US   (for good reason) wants to filter who comes in to the country...so you need to first get your college credits approved to be considered equivalent...they may not be depending where you're from..then once u get approved u need to apply for the test, take it and pass it
ofcourse...after that u need a visa screen certificate before u can even attempt to get in the country...this certificate requires u to send in all copies of transcripts and diplomas as well as the state licensure that u have passes...after this unless u're part of the NAFTA group, you will ofcourse need your employer to sponsor you..you will have to apply for an
H1B visa..beginning stage of immigration...canadians dont need to do this because of NAFTA...they get simplified
temporary permits to work in the states called TN visas...please dont complain when the US doesn't bend over backwards to allow you in...I
m a two time immigrant (once from Europe and then from Canada to US) and I totally understand that there is  a need to keep the process tight...

(in reply to jma)
Post #: 37
RE: Re: Foreign trained PT's - May 15, 2009 9:48:42 PM   
cowboybuboy

You know it's really sad that the US system keeps putting hurdles for foreign trained PTs. My case for example, I'm already practicing in IL and WI, but I if try to get licensed in other states, say, AZ or Texas, they will require me to take the TOEFL ibt. And it's not that easy to pass. Why? Because the standard for PTs is too high.  The reading section alone is hard. Why the heck do I need to take an English exam when I already passed the NPTE plus other state exams? It's stupid but APTA is not going to do anything about it. They don't care about foreign grads. They don't even care about their grads. That's why they keep pushing the DPT. As if they will be the ones to pay for it. I don't know who got paid in the APTA for them to speculate about getting a DPT resulting to more reimbursement or pay. 

(in reply to tamil)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Re: Foreign trained PT's Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search