My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Physiatrist vs. Physical Therapist

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Physiatrist vs. Physical Therapist Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Physiatrist vs. Physical Therapist - November 10, 2000 1:49:00 PM   
Dash

Besides the obvious differences in educational requirements, etc. what is the difference in a physiatrist and a physical therapist? It seems that they perform many of the same duties although I assume since a physiatrist is an MD he/she can order and interpret imaging and prescribe meds. It seems that one of the major pushes for the DPT is to be a primary clinical care practitioner but isn't that basically what a physiatrist is? I am trying to decide between PT and med school and have a definite interest in physical medicine and rehab and was just curious about my options. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn
Post #: 1
Re: Physiatrist vs. Physical Therapist - January 3, 2001 5:16:00 PM   
wincon

Without getting into a tirrade, a simple answer is this. Any time a professional is not partaking in the daily rehab of patients and is doing nothing more than, so-called "overseeing", they are going to be at a disadvantage as to what a patient needs. What a patient needs is always up for debate, however, who is more likely to come to the more likely conclusions as to what constitutes the best treatment regimen, a professional who spends anywhere from 30 to 180+ minutes with patient's anywhere from 2 to 5 days per week or someone who checks in with a patient periodically? Clearly, the PT is in a more advantageous position to best prescribe a treatment regimen and clearly they are more apt to develope practical skills. If the physiatrist actually performed PT activities on a daily basis, then certainly they could develop the clinical evaluative and treatment skills a PT does, but how many do you know who do this? While Physiatrist seem to have more time to spend with patient's than most MD's, they still cannot spend the one-on-one time with patient's as PT's can. As a patient, which would you feel most comfortable with directing your treatment plan?

(in reply to Dash)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> The Future of PT >> Physiatrist vs. Physical Therapist Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search