My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

University of St. Augustine

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> University of St. Augustine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
University of St. Augustine - December 15, 2006 10:41:00 AM   
PT1612

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experiences with the University of St. Augustine entry level DPT. I have looked at their website, but I would like to hear what others have to say about the school. The reason I'm interested is because I would be able to start school a semester earlier instead of waiting until the Fall. I think Azusa Pacifc is the only other school that starts in the Spring. If you have any info or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Post #: 1
Re: University of St. Augustine - December 16, 2006 7:42:00 PM   
PT1612

Any thoughts? IF USA isn't that great of a school I will wait and apply to a state school in the Fall, but most of them are MPT instead of DPT but still 3 years in length. Would this be a better option than the University of St. Augustine?

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 2
Re: University of St. Augustine - December 16, 2006 11:14:00 PM   
Baltimore Physio

I graduated from usa last year. It was a great program, very intense. They cram a ton of learning into 2 years and 4 months. If you are interested in ortho and manual therapy it is one of your best options. let me know if you have any specific questions about the program.

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 3
Re: University of St. Augustine - December 17, 2006 5:37:00 PM   
Andrew M. Ball PT PhD

I'd suggest a state school for your MPT, and then going on for a t-DPT online. Because CAPTE standards are the same for MPT and DPT programs anyway, you'll be able to excell in courses like radiography and differential medical screening once you take them at the t-DPT level. More than that, however, you'll gain access to a cadre of next-generation leaders as your classmates . . . that is to say physical therapists with BOTH years of experience AND the acculturation of the DPT vision. It will allow for networking on a scale and depth simply not possible with a bunch of other novices as your classmates at USA (or any other entry-level DPT program for that matter). Not to mention . . . USA like most private schools (and yes, I'm a private school graduate, as is my wife) has a tuition that far exceeds the value of that education relative to a good state school. Look into Chapel Hill, Deleware, etc.

Drew

Andrew M. Ball, PT, DPT, Ph.D.
Orthopedic Physical Therapy Resident
Carolinas Rehabilitation

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 4
Re: University of St. Augustine - December 18, 2006 10:29:00 AM   
OaksPT

Liz,
Drew makes a good point about the networking doing a t-DPT program, BUT one thing you may want to look into before you commit is t-DPT program critical mass. For instance I just finished my t-DPT at Virginia Commonwealth University, they have plans to continue the program until fall of 2009, and then re-evaluating the need after that, they figure the people who were going to pursue their t-DPT would do it fairly rapidly. Other programs may be different, there are a few programs that are just now developing the t-dpt program. Just food for thought.

Scott Oaks PT,DPT

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 5
Re: University of St. Augustine - December 19, 2006 4:13:00 PM   
PT1612

I just wanted to say thank you to those who replied to my post. I definitely feel more prepared now to make a decision about the schools to apply to. Thanks for your help.

Liz

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 6
Re: University of St. Augustine - December 23, 2006 9:24:00 AM   
Baltimore Physio

you can network in many ways. Conferences, APTA's members mentoring mentors program, AAOMPT, fellowships and getting involved in your state chapter.

I can't say enough about how well prepared I am clinically having been through the USA program.

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 7
Re: University of St. Augustine - January 15, 2007 10:42:00 AM   
shalaka

Hi,
am new to this post, but interested in t-DPT.
can anyone suggest good t-DPT schools? I live in Florida so as for tuition, local would be cheaper for me.
Thanks

(in reply to PT1612)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> University of St. Augustine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search