My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Re: t-DPT Online

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Re: t-DPT Online Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: t-DPT Online - January 31, 2007 6:54:00 PM   
jbird007

mcap,

I think PT's getting doctorates and taking on a physican title may be advantagous. It would take work at the indivudual level but moreso at the political levels. DC's fought long and hard to get recognition at the federal and state levels.

As far as PT's and income go, you guys are doing pretty darn good and my hat goes off to all of you. Many PT's make a lot more than DC's and do not have to deal with all the hassles and headaches or runnng your own business.

JBird

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 41
Re: t-DPT Online - February 1, 2007 1:42:00 PM   
keldada

how about PHDs calling themselves doctors. Is that misleading???

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 42
Re: t-DPT Online - February 1, 2007 2:35:00 PM   
mcap56

No....last I checked, PhDs weren't working patients and calling themselves doctor so and so. I think students can tell the difference between a hospital and a university.......

Marc

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 43
Re: t-DPT Online - February 6, 2007 9:42:00 AM   
ptdan23

I think most PT's are going back to get their tDPT to further their education, to learn and to give possibly better care to their patients. I doubt that the main motivation for most PT's who choose to get their DPT is so that they can be called doctor.

Dan C., PT MTC

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 44
Re: t-DPT Online - February 6, 2007 4:08:00 PM   
Andrew M. Ball PT PhD

Remember your history folks. It was actually the PhD's that were the "first" doctors. MD's took on the white coats and title "doctor" in an effort to promote an air of respectability relative to snake oil salesmen --- remember, however, that this was back before MD's thought sterilization of instruments was a good idea --- and when leaching was standard of care for just about any ailment . . .

The point is, I'm happy to lend my "doctor" air of respectability to a medical physician . . . but I'll be darned to let them steal it!

I'm a doctor, I've earned that right twice over --- what I'm not, however, is a physician. Which is, in my opinion, a term that should be reserved for MD's and DO's only. Not DC's, not PsyD's, not DPM's, not DPT's, and not OD's.

As for Dan's comment about the motivation for t-DPT's, I'd agree for the most part --- in my program there were 75% or so earning for the patient, and 25% motivated by the title. The problem, in my opinion, is that there are only about 2000 post-professional/t-DPT's with the clinical experience, wisdom, and maturity to "get it" in that regard. I fear for the effect of the new-graduate DPT's, full of better education with respect to differential diagnostics, but less LIFE EXPERIENCE (that includes more than just clinical experience folks, that includes TACT with patients and referring physicians, etc) who are doing DPT's more for the anticipated title of "doctor" and the anticipated respect of their non-DPT physical therapist peers. They are in for a rude awakening --- as are we if we don't offset the flood of new-grad "I'm a DOCTOR --- LOOT AT ME" DPT's with experienced and wise leadership of t-DPT's.

Drew

Andrew M. Ball, PT, DPT, Ph.D.
Orthopedic Physical Therapy Resident
Carolinas Rehabilitation

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 45
Re: t-DPT Online - February 6, 2007 10:04:00 PM   
jbird007

..umm OK Drew.

JBird

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Re: t-DPT Online Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search