My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Re: t-DPT Online

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Re: t-DPT Online Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: t-DPT Online - July 15, 2006 6:37:00 AM   
jma

Going to one's alma mater for the t-DPT is great. The program already knows you and you don't have to take a lot of courses, as compared to those who take it elsewhere. It is set up for the working professional and most courses are online with some with weekend components, which is great as well.

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 21
Re: t-DPT Online - January 15, 2007 10:53:00 AM   
shalaka

hi guys,
reading a lot abt t-DPT nowadays..
does it help in licensure process? That is will u be considered as US graduate with t-DPT?
Is t-DPT CAPTE accredited?
Like in my case I did bachelors from India, advanced masters from UFL (non-CAPTE program). but i have to undergo credential evaluation fro most of the states as foreign-educated.

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 22
Re: t-DPT Online - January 15, 2007 4:17:00 PM   
physioo

michagan new york , u dont need more courses

do licence there, then transfer to diff state, if they need u to do more courses, work and study

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 23
Re: t-DPT Online - January 15, 2007 4:47:00 PM   
shalaka

hi Physioo,
thank you
I already have MI state license. Just wanted to know if it's easier with t-DPT degree..
have heard abt NY that no credits are generally needed afer eval, but the entire process takes hell lot of time like 6 months or so..hm..
any idea if FCCPT or CGFNS/ICD is better?

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 24
Re: t-DPT Online - January 15, 2007 4:47:00 PM   
shalaka

hi Physioo,
thank you
I already have MI state license. Just wanted to know if it's easier with t-DPT degree..
have heard abt NY that no credits are generally needed afer eval, but the entire process takes hell lot of time like 6 months or so..hm..
any idea if FCCPT or CGFNS/ICD is better?

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 25
Re: t-DPT Online - January 16, 2007 3:03:00 PM   
jbird007

I believe you, Andrew, need to become a MD. Drop all those crazy alphabet credentials,(that lay people do not recognize)and put on the MD crown.
Only then will you find your heaven.

Do you have people call you Doctor-doctor-doctor Drew?

:) JBird

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 26
Re: t-DPT Online - January 18, 2007 5:54:00 PM   
jlharris

Only orthopeadic physicians do, I'm sure :p

Jason L. Harris, PT, DPT
My PT Blog

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 27
Re: t-DPT Online - January 29, 2007 2:27:00 PM   
jbird007

IMO the only people called "doctors" should be the MD's.

Chiropractors with doctorate degrees are still chiropractors.

PT's with doctorates are still physical therapists.

Veternarians with doctorates are still vets

English teachers with doctorate degrees are still English teachers.

Humblly yours,

Dr. JBird DC, Chiropractor, CCSP, MA, BA, AS

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 28
Re: t-DPT Online - January 29, 2007 3:31:00 PM   
ONstudentPT555

I agree with that

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 29
Re: t-DPT Online - January 29, 2007 3:49:00 PM   
mcap56

Hi JBird:

While agree with you somewhat. In the University setting, however, the PhD or the EdD is the terminal degree, not the MD or anything else. Professors have the right to go by Dr. whoever they want in schools. I go by first name always but I would acknowledge many of my colleagues' work and suffering. And academic doctorate takes an average of something like 8-10 years.

Marc

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 30
Re: t-DPT Online - January 29, 2007 6:54:00 PM   
tc

And to follow up on Marc's post, PhD was the first doctorate degree, well before the MD.

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 31
Re: t-DPT Online - January 29, 2007 8:38:00 PM   
jbird007

It is just my opinion. :)

TC, Just because one has a "doctorate" degree shouldn't mean one has to announce or address themelves that they have "doctor" status.

Some people have bachelors degrees and are not addresed as Bachelor Bob.

How about the guy with a masters degree? Is he Master Mike?

Not to step on any toes but I just think MD's are the only REAL doctors. I find it misleading (especially to laypeople) with the overgrowth and overuse of the term "doctor".

For most people, if they were in a hospital setting and a guy walked in and said , "Hi I am Dr Drew", they would assume he was an MD (even I would). When they found out later he was a PT or a DC there would be a chuckle and/or an eye-roll.

I am just one of those guys that do not need a high shooting credential to fluff my ego or pull rank.

2 cents and change,

JBird period :)

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 32
Re: t-DPT Online - January 29, 2007 8:43:00 PM   
jbird007

BTW, In all my years in practice, the only patients who ever asked how much schooling I had were ones who were interested in becoming a chiropractor.

For other patients, some (very few) have asked me how long I have been practicing but I can not recall one patient asking me how much schooling I had or what my grades were or how I scored on the Boards. Maybe only a mere handful asked what school I attended.

I would rather foucus on really helping people and sticking feathers in my cap then adding a list of alphabet soup after my name.

JBird

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 33
Re: t-DPT Online - January 30, 2007 10:21:00 PM   
FLAOrthoPT

Ditto,
Ben, PT, DPT, MSPT, OCS, CSCS, BMOC, PITA, SOB, GGG, MIH, XYZ, PDQ, PsQs, ASAP, STAT, RSVP, WTF

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 34
Re: t-DPT Online - January 30, 2007 11:35:00 PM   
mcap56

The vast majority of chiropractors refer to themselves as Dr. such and such, regardless of the setting they are in. They are far more aggressive about it than DPTs that I know. I barely know any DPTs who use the Dr. term at all.....ever.

You are the first DC I have ever heard of that doesn't use the Dr. term. You will notice that on the PT website we are referred to as physical therapists. On the ACA website, you are referred to as "Doctors of Chiropractic." I also see ubiquitous use of the term Chiropractic Physician. Try a google search and see what comes up.

While you may take an admirable stance on this with your own patients, this is not an issue in PT. It's an issue in your profession.

Our professional association dictates how your name and credentials should be listed. PT, highest degree earned, then board certification if applicable. What you put after, is up to you.

I don't think PTs should be shy about listing their credentials so long as they are recognized within the profession and that they are reasonable accomplishments. PTs are usually far too humble.

marc

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 35
Re: t-DPT Online - January 31, 2007 6:42:00 AM   
SJBird55

mcap... Drew does!

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 36
Re: t-DPT Online - January 31, 2007 10:34:00 AM   
Synergy

I second Marc's latest post. PTs are generally humble (with the exception of Drew) when it comes to being called 'doctor'. Not to go to bat for Drew, but he has earned his PhD and in my opinion calling him 'doctor' is automatic. Of the DPTs I know, absolutely ZERO of them go by doctor or prefer to be called doctor. The latest stance of the APTA for the DPT, if I remember correctly, is that DPTs should clarify to patients that they are not 'medical' doctors.

I think respect plays a huge role in this as well. If you've earned your DSc, PhD, or DPT, I will call you doctor until you ask me to stop doing so. Maybe that's just me because I'm from the 'old school'. :)

Chris Adams, PT, MPT

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 37
Re: t-DPT Online - January 31, 2007 10:57:00 AM   
jbird007

I do not mean to cause a fuss. I agree many DC's use the doctor status to lay people which IMO misleads the public. In my state DC's can use "doctor" but need to follow it with "Chiropractor". I think that is good but it still doesn't stop chiros from introducing themselves as Dr Egotripper. It really irritates me when DC's use their first name. "Hi I am Dr Mikey"..Ugh!

But, on the other hand, all DC's have doctorates and it has been that way for quite some time. They are recognized in many states as physicians. Most (if not all)W/C organizations recognizes them as physicians as does Medicare which is a federal entity.

I am unfamilar if PT doctors are recognized as physicians.

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 38
Re: t-DPT Online - January 31, 2007 12:14:00 PM   
ONstudentPT555

The notion that DCs are recognized as physicians is more misleading than their use of the term doctor IMO. DCs introducing themselves as a physician would more likely be misleading people into thinking that they are an MD then if they introduced themselves as a doctor...although using either term would be misleading... at least thats what I would think.

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 39
Re: t-DPT Online - January 31, 2007 1:04:00 PM   
mcap56

Jbird:

Doctors of PT or any PT for that matter, as far as we know, are not referred to or recognized as physicians. I don't think anyone would want it that way. Also agree that PhDs can go by Dr. Let's face it, we don't get much in terms of money or perks.....let us keep this one :)

Marc

(in reply to Run262)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Re: t-DPT Online Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search